Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by tywebb <na...@timveil.fastmail.fm> on 2008/05/09 18:27:31 UTC

SOAPFaultException missing custom error data

I am using CXF 2.1 generated clients to consume web services written in .NET.
The application previously used Apache Axis1 (v 1.4) to consume these same
web services and I did not encounter this issue.  Unfortunately, I have no
control over the content or structure of the WSDL's so I am hoping the issue
does lie there.

When calling our login web service, the server will return "error" messages
embedded in the soap payload that I can use to build Java Exceptions.  With
Axis i was easily able to catch org.apache.axis.AxisFault exceptions and
parse its "faultDetails" to retrieve the information I need.

When calling these same services with CXF generated clients, I recieve a
javax.xml.ws.soap.SOAPFaultException but I am unable to find the error
details anywhere in that object graph.

Below is the Inbound payload CXF logs after a failed login attempt.  All I
want/need is access to the data wrapped in the <detail> tag.  I was able to
do this quite easily with Axis with no special configuration.  What am I
missing that is preventing me from getting this information out of
CXF/SOAPFaultException

CXF Inbound Payload...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope"
    <soap:Body>
        <soap:Fault>
            <soap:Code>
                <soap:Value>soap:Sender</soap:Value>
            </soap:Code>
            <soap:Reason>
                <soap:Text xml:lang="en">SOAP Fault Occurred</soap:Text>
            </soap:Reason>
            <detail>
                <ServiceMethod></ServiceMethod>
                <ErrorCode>-200</ErrorCode>
                <ErrorMessage>INVALID USER LOGIN ID</ErrorMessage>
                <ErrorDump>Exception Handled By Database</ErrorDump>
            </detail>
        </soap:Fault>
    </soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>

Re: SOAPFaultException missing custom error data

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Hmm....   I THINK what I would do is write an interceptor that would be:

         super(Phase.UNMARSHAL);
         addBefore(Soap12FaultInInterceptor.class.getName());

(obviously, it goes in the InFaultChain)

It would just do something like:  (pseudo code)

XMLStreamReader reader = message.getContent(XMLStreamReader.class);
StreamFilter filter = new StreamFilter() {
  public boolean accept(XMLStreamReader reader) {
     return true;
}
};
XMLStreamReader newReader = new FilteredStreamReader( reader,  filter) {
     public QName getName() {
         QName qn = mReader.getName();
         if ("detail".equals(qn.getLocalPart())) {
              qn = new QName(soap12ns, "Detail");
         }
         return qn;
     }
     public String getLocalName() {
         return getName().getLocalPart();
     }
     public String getNamespaceURI() {
         return getName().getNamespaceURI();
     }
};
message.setContent(XmlStreamReader.class, newReader);

Basically, this will make the XmlStreamReader remap the bogus detail
element qname into the proper soap 1.2 Detail element.    It should
leave the rest of the stuff alone.

Dan

On May 14, 2008, at 2:41 PM, tywebb wrote:

> Dan,
>
> Thank you again for helping me debug.  I was afraid this was the
> case.  The
> problem is I don't control/own the web service.  I assume writing my
> own
> Interceptor would be one way of handling this invalid response, but
> after
> reading the documentation and playing around with creating an
> interceptor I
> haven't had much luck.  What "Phase" would be best suited for this
> type of
> Interceptor?  What is the best way to retrieve and parse the
> message.getContent()?  XMLStreamReader?  Any guidance you could
> provide
> would be sincerely appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>

> dkulp wrote:
>>

>> While debugging this, I just realized that the soap fault in your
>> message is NOT a valid soap 1.2 fault.   That's why it's not finding
>> the details.   For SOAP 1.2, the details element needs to be
>> <soap:Detail>, not <details>.   If you have access to the service,
>> you
>> should definitely get it updated to generate correct 1.2 faults.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm going to say, as far as CXF is concerned, "not a bug".
>>

>> Dan
>>

>> On May 13, 2008, at 5:42 PM, tywebb wrote:
>>

>>> Dan,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your replay.  Unfortunately this is precisely the
>>> problem I am
>>> having.  I would expect, as you did, that the contents of the
>>> <detail> tag
>>> (see my payload example) be accessible through
>>> sfe.getFault().getDetail().getDetailEntries()  but getDetailEntries
>>> and all
>>> other seemingly relevant methods return null.  Any other thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks

>>> --
>>>

>> ---
>> Daniel Kulp
>> dkulp@apache.org
>> http://www.dankulp.com/blog

---
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: SOAPFaultException missing custom error data

Posted by tywebb <na...@timveil.fastmail.fm>.
Dan,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

> [...]

>>> missing that is preventing me from getting this information out of
>>> CXF/SOAPFaultException
>>>
>>> CXF Inbound Payload...
>>>
>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>>> <soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope"
>>> xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
>>>   <soap:Body>
>>>       <soap:Fault>
>>>           <soap:Code>
>>>               <soap:Value>soap:Sender</soap:Value>
>>>           </soap:Code>
>>>           <soap:Reason>
>>>               <soap:Text xml:lang="en">SOAP Fault Occurred</
>>> soap:Text>
>>>           </soap:Reason>
>>>           <detail>
>>>               <ServiceMethod></ServiceMethod>
>>>               <ErrorCode>-200</ErrorCode>
>>>               <ErrorMessage>INVALID USER LOGIN ID</ErrorMessage>
>>>               <ErrorDump>Exception Handled By Database</ErrorDump>

---
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: SOAPFaultException missing custom error data

Posted by tywebb <na...@timveil.fastmail.fm>.
Dan,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

sfe.getFault().getDetail().getDetailEntries() should return an
Iterator that allows you to iterate over the detail contents.

Note: The Detail object returned from sfe.getFault().getDetail()
implements the org.w3c.dom.Element stuff so any of the XML apis should
be able to be used to process it.

Dan

On May 9, 2008, at 12:27 PM, tywebb wrote:

> I am using CXF 2.1 generated clients to consume web services written
> in .NET.
> The application previously used Apache Axis1 (v 1.4) to consume
> these same
> web services and I did not encounter this issue.  Unfortunately, I
> have no
> control over the content or structure of the WSDL's so I am hoping
> the issue
> does lie there.
>
> When calling our login web service, the server will return "error"
> messages
> embedded in the soap payload that I can use to build Java
> Exceptions.  With
> Axis i was easily able to catch org.apache.axis.AxisFault exceptions
> and
> parse its "faultDetails" to retrieve the information I need.
>
> When calling these same services with CXF generated clients, I
> recieve a
> javax.xml.ws.soap.SOAPFaultException but I am unable to find the error
> details anywhere in that object graph.
>
> Below is the Inbound payload CXF logs after a failed login attempt.
> All I
> want/need is access to the data wrapped in the <detail> tag.  I was
> able to
> do this quite easily with Axis with no special configuration.  What
> am I
> missing that is preventing me from getting this information out of
> CXF/SOAPFaultException
>
> CXF Inbound Payload...
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope"
>    <soap:Body>
>        <soap:Fault>
>            <soap:Code>
>                <soap:Value>soap:Sender</soap:Value>
>            </soap:Code>
>            <soap:Reason>
>                <soap:Text xml:lang="en">SOAP Fault Occurred</
> soap:Text>
>            </soap:Reason>
>            <detail>
>                <ServiceMethod></ServiceMethod>
>                <ErrorCode>-200</ErrorCode>
>                <ErrorMessage>INVALID USER LOGIN ID</ErrorMessage>
>                <ErrorDump>Exception Handled By Database</ErrorDump>
>            </detail>
>        </soap:Fault>
>    </soap:Body>
> </soap:Envelope>