Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Phil hunter <ph...@hotmail.co.uk> on 2011/01/26 19:54:18 UTC

New to Lucene

Hi all,

Im doing a uni project that involves designing a website. I am in the early
stages of development and just want to clarify my understanding of what I
have learnt so far. My website will contain a database (SQL or Oracle
possibly) with powerpoint, word and maybe some other files but mainly these.

I can use Lucene to:
1) Search my site using keywords to find and retrieve the relevant pages
2) Search and extract the relevant powerpoint and word files from the
database

>From what I gathered core Lucene will index my site and database and find
the relevant pages and files. I will need to add other software though, such
as crawlers and a user interface.

As I say I am new to this and it is all quite complicated at the start, but
is what I have gathered so far correct?

Many Thanks,

Phil

Re: New to Lucene

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Check out Solr.  You will have a MUCH easier integration task since it
includes most of the glue you need and already has good web integration
components available.

There are several pre-packaged versions of Solr.  One that I have passing
knowledge of is LucidWorks available from
http://www.lucidimagination.com/enterprise-software-solutions-download