Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Shawn Castrianni <Sh...@halliburton.com> on 2008/02/21 21:18:45 UTC

RE: transitive dependency override

I am using ivy settings files heavily to completely configure the behavior of ivy by just switching out different settings files.  Therefore, if I run into something that I can't fix or configure via a settings file, it hurts my plan to rely on settings files only.  Past posts about this subject suggest a workaround that involves editing ivy.xml files to make indirect (transitive) dependencie direct but, again, I want to be able to fix this issue via the settings file.  I would like the flexibility to override the default behavior of ivy's dependency mechanism and explicitly specify the revision of the dependency of a given module to use in the module override tag of the settings files.  For example, let's say I have A which depends on B latest.integration, and B which depends on C latest.integration.  Let's say I have 1 revision of C in the repository, rev 1.  Let's say I have 1 rev of B in the repository, rev 1, that was built against rev 1 of C.  Now I build and publish a new C, rev 2.  Now I want to build A but use rev 2 of C without having to build a new B.  So it would be nice if I could use the module tag in the settings file to specify that module C should use rev 2 no matter what when dependencies are being resolved.  I can see that the module tag already has a revision attribute, but that apparently is used for matching the rule and not used AS a rule.  Can you add a new attribute, like overrideRevision, to the module tag such that anytime a dependency is resolved that matches the module tag, the overrideRevision is used?

---
Shawn Castrianni
CM Chief Architect
Landmark
Halliburton Drilling, Evaluation and Digital Solutions Building 2
2101 City West Blvd.
Houston, TX  77042
Work:  713-839-3086
Cell:  832-654-0888
Fax:  713-839-2758

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.