Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by simon <sk...@apache.org> on 2008/01/01 20:41:17 UTC

code generation

Hi,

I see in trunk1.2.x/api, the pom.xml defines a profile named
"generate-component-code", which runs the external Ant build.xml file.

>>From an inspection of this code, this looks to me like a leftover from
the old myfaces code-generation framework where component classes had
  == GENERATED CODE BEGIN ==
  == GENERATED CODE END ==
comments, and were modified then checked in with the modifications.

AUAI, this has now been replaced by the "trinidadbuild" maven plugin,
where files from "src/main/java-templates" are processed at build-time
to generate the source code to be compiled. The templates are checked
in, but not the modified files.

Is this right? If so, can we remove this profile plus the build.xml file
from this module?

And by the way, how do people do component development with the new
approach? Is "target/maven-faces-plugin/main/java" added as a
source-code directory to the IDE project, but changes made to the
template instead, with the plugin being re-run to regenerate the actual
class after each change to the template?

Regards,

Simon

Re: code generation

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 01/01/2008, simon <sk...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see in trunk1.2.x/api, the pom.xml defines a profile named
> "generate-component-code", which runs the external Ant build.xml file.
>
> >From an inspection of this code, this looks to me like a leftover from
> the old myfaces code-generation framework where component classes had
>   == GENERATED CODE BEGIN ==
>   == GENERATED CODE END ==
> comments, and were modified then checked in with the modifications.
>
> AUAI, this has now been replaced by the "trinidadbuild" maven plugin,
> where files from "src/main/java-templates" are processed at build-time
> to generate the source code to be compiled. The templates are checked
> in, but not the modified files.
>
> Is this right? If so, can we remove this profile plus the build.xml file
> from this module?

Yes, that was replace by the faces-maven-plugin from trinidad, so I
guess that could be removed,

> And by the way, how do people do component development with the new
> approach? Is "target/maven-faces-plugin/main/java" added as a
> source-code directory to the IDE project, but changes made to the
> template instead, with the plugin being re-run to regenerate the actual
> class after each change to the template?

Yes, this is what I do. The development was always in the templates
and XML files and I re-run the plugin to regenerate the classes. Well,
this is what I always do when I work with generated classes.

> Regards,
>
> Simon

Happy new year,

Bruno