Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2013/08/01 07:36:59 UTC

Re: [GSoC Mentors] Want to feature your Veteran GSoC 2013 org on the Google Open Source blog?

Uli,
here's a little post for you about the two projects in Isis; for collation
into Google's GSOC blog.
Dan

submitted by: Dan Haywood

In Apache Isis [1] - a Java framework for rapidly developing domain-driven
apps - we have two students both working on a new "viewer".  These interact
with a REST API that Isis automatically generates, reflecting the structure
and behaviour of the domain objects.  (The REST API is separately specified
at restfulobjects.org [2])

This architecture decouples the viewer technology from the technology used
to implement the domain object model.  Isis is a Java framework so its
domain objects are written in Java, but the viewers could written in
anything.  In the past the Isis community has worked on single-page
HTML5/JS viewer and on a Windows Store App viewer; for Google Summer of
Code our two students are each building their own viewers, one for Android,
and one using JQueryMobile (to be packaged using Apache Cordova/PhoneGap).

Midway through the programme, our students have been picking up steam.
 Both have become quite fluent in the REST API, and both have a viewer
running that is quite useable, if incomplete.  As perhaps might be
anticipated, the two viewers don't match in terms of features implements,
but both are adding new features regularly and should produce something
tangible and useful by programme end.  You can see their work to date
through these two screencasts produced in readiness for midterm evals [3],
[4].

[1] http://isis.apache.org
[2] http://restfulobjects.org
[3] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MKg3W7pXZA&feature=youtu.be