Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Austin Bennett <wh...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/31 02:19:08 UTC

Diversity / Inclusion

Hi Apache Community,

This is related to recent discussions, but I'm looking for practical
suggestions for a concrete initiative, so not jumping in on those threads.

Working with the administration at a local community college - looking at
methods for training some English as a second language - and immigrant (to
the USA) - students to learn things coding/computing.  Computer Science is
an 'impacted' major, meaning students are not even able to gain access to
those classes, so there is motivation to figure out how to expand those
capabilities.

This has me exploring putting things together to train these students.
Outside of the technical skills, I am imagining teaching them about (and
encourage living by) the Apache Way, and thoughts around encouraging this
mentality from the outset ("meritocracy" as a quite loaded word, for
example).  It seems such awareness would be beneficial to people as they
are learning (and anyone); In addition this might serve as a pipeline for
the future for people that would contribute positively to Apache.

Anything else I should be looking at outside of the website:
https://community.apache.org ?

Thanks,
Austin

Re: Diversity / Inclusion

Posted by Austin Bennett <wh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Bertrand,

I had found it and subscribed when it was mentioned, and had seen the
thread circulating this morning.  It hadn't seemed like much was formalized
there (from what I had read in the archives), but I should just post a
similar message to that group and see what happens!  (thanks for the nudge)

Re: Diversity / Inclusion

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Diversity / Inclusion

Posted by Roy Lenferink <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Austin,

Since a month we have got a training podling as well. The goal of this
training
project is to gather and provide as much training material as possible.
This can vary from project specific material but I can understand that
'How-to
ASF' material is present as well. A website hasn't been created yet,
but the mailing list is quite active already, so if you need any material
you may ask over there as well.

- Roy

Re: Diversity / Inclusion