Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by ermouth <er...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/24 08:33:40 UTC

Newsfeed IFRAME in Fauxton and IP collection

Since I hadn’t received any answer at Github, I’d like to raise an
important CouchDB Fauxton security question publicly.

One of the latest Fauxton PRs (
https://github.com/apache/couchdb-fauxton/pull/1284) adds a remote newsfeed
to Fauxton. Emitting a newsfeed in the admin panel in that way may lead to
IP collection of CouchDB instances (or subnets, that is even worse)
somewhere.

Where is this ‘somewhere’ located? Pinging blog.couchdb.org shows it points
to lb.wordpress.com, which seems a bit ridiculous. CouchDB instances are
not uncommon for very critical parts of infrastructure and security
projects, and I doubt anyone wants to expose node IPs to _whatever_ logs,
esp wordpress.com.

So I’d like to ask devs and users: does anyone think adding news to the
admin panel worth creating such a security hole?

ermouth

Re: Newsfeed IFRAME in Fauxton and IP collection

Posted by Robert Samuel Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I share the discomfort in fauxton making a remote connection without warning and agree with Jan that some confirmation screen should be added.

It's also fine for this to be on master while it develops, master is not a release and is not guaranteed to be releasable either. Anyone deploying master directly does so at their own risk.

Finally, we kindly ask that all security related issues are responsibly disclosed to security@couchdb.apache.org.

B.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by ermouth <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Thanks ermouth,

I’m surprised my proposal made it through without discussion. I have the
same question ;D

FWIW, this “leaks” the browser connection to the internet, not necessarily
CouchDB instance data.

For a production version of this, I would at least expect an opt-in button
on that page, before loading remote content.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Thanks ermouth,