Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Javier Kohen <jk...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2006/02/15 21:25:03 UTC

Queue-, SoftReference-based object pool

Hi,

I implemented an ObjectPool based on the SoftReferenceObjectPool in
commons pool. My implementation takes a java.util.queue and has no
internal synchronization, leaving that up to the queue implementation.
This is useful, for instance, in concurrent applications that share the
pool among threads, as locking can be costly and cause contention.

I'm not sure who to contact directly to offer this as a contribution to
said sub-project, so any indications will be appreciated. The code is
available under the same license as the rest of the project for anybody
who wants it.

Greetings,
--
Javier Kohen <jk...@users.sourceforge.net>
ICQ: blashyrkh #2361802

Re: Queue-, SoftReference-based object pool

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 17:25 -0300, Javier Kohen wrote:
> Hi,

hi Javier

> I implemented an ObjectPool based on the SoftReferenceObjectPool in
> commons pool. My implementation takes a java.util.queue and has no
> internal synchronization, leaving that up to the queue implementation.
> This is useful, for instance, in concurrent applications that share the
> pool among threads, as locking can be costly and cause contention.
>
> I'm not sure who to contact directly to offer this as a contribution to
> said sub-project, so any indications will be appreciated. The code is
> available under the same license as the rest of the project for anybody
> who wants it.

here at apache we're community oriented. we try to develop our code in
the open as a team with the widest possible participation. please don't
contact any developer directly: sign up for the developer mailing lists
and post something there.

here are some links which might help to explain:

http://www.apache.org/dev/
http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html

if you do want to get involved with developing commons-pool then you'll
need to subscribe to the commons-dev mailing list (see
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail). please read:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/JakartaCommonsEtiquette

the list is high volume so i'd suggest setting up some filters. all
posts about pool should be prefixed by [pool] so set up a filter in your
email client. gmail's pretty good for mailing lists set up like this
(let me know if you need an invite). other people find that mail-to-news
works well for them (for example http://www.gmane.org/).

hope this helps to get you started :)

- robert