Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by java_is_everything <aj...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/07 06:12:16 UTC

Too ambitious : but wanting to know the exact procedure.

Hi all.

I have been going through a lot of Lucene tutorials; but everywhere what I
find is just how to use Lucene classes (IndexReader, IndexSearcher,
Analyzer, Field, Doc ......... list goes on).

Everything fine so far, but I still feel that all these "cook-book" rules
can be better understood and appreciated, if we get to know a little more of
internal technical details. Thus, we (I am sure there might be others who
might be having the same feeling), will be obliged if the Senior
Developers/Users could walk us through the following queries :

1) Assume that the user has called doc.add(Field.Keyword("group","basics of
lucene")), and a line later,
    writer.addDocument(doc). So much so is available in a standard tutorial.

    Now, we know since we are adding a Keyword, "basics of lucene" will
remain as such (i.e. no analyzing).
    Secondly, "it" will be stored and indexed. Now, the following doubts
prop up :

    1.a) What happens to "group"?
    1.b) We know that index will be searchable only via "basics of lucene" .
Fine. But how exactly is the
           "storing" of "basics of lucene" accomplished; and how exactly is
the "indexing" of "basics of lucene"
           accomplished ?

    We wish to gather this first info. It may be assumed that we have a
reasonable background knowledge
    of common data structures (trees, tries, lists, etc). That is to say, we
are more than mere
    programmers (we are Computer Science Engineering Graduates Programmers).

    Looking forward to replies from some great people, who understand what
we wish to say.

On behalf of all eager people

Ashutosh Ahluwalia

Re: Too ambitious : but wanting to know the exact procedure.

Posted by Paul Elschot <pa...@xs4all.nl>.
Hi,

In case you want to understand what happens when a document field
is stored and indexed, try and add your example to the file formats
as documented here:
http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/fileformats.html

When that clears up your mind to an extent that was not available before,
and you'd like to share this experience with others, consider creating a patch
to add the example to the file format documentation, more or less
as described here:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/HowToContribute
Btw, that page might also need some extension for documentation updates.

After that, in case you still want to know the exact procedure on how
storing and indexing is done, get the lucene source code and use a debugger
to step into that from your example code below.

Regards,
Paul Elschot