Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Asif Rahman <as...@newscred.com> on 2010/02/19 22:54:46 UTC

Solr 1.5 in production

What is the prevailing opinion on using solr 1.5 in a production
environment?  I know that many people were using 1.4 in production for a
while before it became an official release.

Specifically I'm interested in using some of the new spatial features.

Thanks,

Asif

--
Asif Rahman
Lead Engineer - NewsCred

Re: Solr 1.5 in production

Posted by Asif Rahman <as...@newscred.com>.
We're modeling hyperlocal news articles.  Each article is indexed with a
shape that corresponds to the region of the map that is covered by the
source of the article.  We considered modeling the locality of the articles
as points, but that approach would have limited our search options to
bounding box filters and slow distance calculations.  We also felt that the
shape approach more closely resembled the true nature of the data.  For now,
we're only using rectangles, but this approach will give us the ability to
index amorphous shapes as well.  Are there any other techniques for indexing
shape data?

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2010, at 8:53 AM, Asif Rahman wrote:
>
> > One piece of functionality that I need is the ability to index a spatial
> > shape.  I've begun implementing this for solr 1.4 using just the spatial
> > capabilities in lucene with a custom update processor and query parser.
>  At
> > this point I'm only supporting rectangles and the shapes are being
> indexed
> > as sets of spatial tiles.  In solr 1.5, I believe the correct
> implementation
> > would be as a field type with the new subfielding capabilities.  Do you
> have
> > any thoughts about the approach I'm taking?
>
> Yeah, I think in 1.5 you would use the subfield approach.  How do you plan
> on using the shape in search?
>

> > Asif
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org
> >wrote:

> >> These aren't fully baked yet (still need some spatial filtering
> >> capabilities which I'm getting close to done with, or close enough to
> submit
> >> a patch anyway), but feedback would be welcome.  The main risk, I
> suppose,
> >> is that any new APIs could change.  Other than that, the usually advice
> >> applies:  Test it out in your environment and see if it meets your
> needs.
> >> On the spatial stuff, we'd definitely appreciate feedback on
> performance,
> >> functionality, APIs, etc.
> >>
> >> -Grant
> >

> > --
> > Asif Rahman
> > Lead Engineer - NewsCred
> > asif@newscred.com
> > http://platform.newscred.com
>
> --------------------------
> Grant Ingersoll
> http://www.lucidimagination.com/
>
> Search the Lucene ecosystem using Solr/Lucene:

Asif Rahman
Lead Engineer - NewsCred
asif@newscred.com
http://platform.newscred.com