Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Michael J. Prichard" <mi...@mac.com> on 2006/07/27 18:29:31 UTC

Indexing large sets of documents?

I built an indexer that runs through email and its attachments, rips out
content and what not and then creates a Document and adds it to an
index.  It works w/ no problem.  The issue is that it takes around 3-5
seconds per email and I have seen up to 10-15 seconds for email w/
attachments.  I need to index 750k emails and at those times it will
take FOREVER!  I am trying to find places to cut a second or two here or
there but are there any suggestions as to what I can do?  Should I look
into parallelizing indexing?  Help?!

Thanks,
Michael

Re: Indexing large sets of documents?

Posted by Rafael Rossini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Ok, there is a patch (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-532). This
is what I saw. But I still have a question. I guess it´s better to ask this
in the hadoop mailing list, anyway,  the hadoop project implements a DFS and
the whole MapReduce paradigm. Is it possible to do the indexing and
searching using all of that? Because the concept of a DFS and the MapReduce
is to have an app that is scalable and fast, like google. I´m sure this is
not easy at all, but it would be nice if one day this kind of stuff became a
commodity.

[]s
    Rossini

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Rossini{},

I think what you might have read might have been that searching a Lucene index that lives in a HDFS would be slow.  As far as I understand things, the thing to do is to copy the index to a local disk, out of HDFS, and then search it with Lucene from there.

Otis()

   You mentioned the hadoop project. I check it out not a long time ago and
I read someting about it did not support the lucene index. Is it possible to

Posted by Rafael Rossini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Oits,

Posted by Dejan Nenov <de...@jollyobject.com>.
Yes - parallelizing works great - we built a share-nothing java-spaces based
system at X1 and on a 11-way cluster were able to index 350 office documents
per second - this included the binary-2-text conversion, using Stellent INSO
libraries. The trick is to create separate indexes and, if you do not have a
federated search setup  - merge the indexes into one big index after they
are completed.

Dejan

Posted by MALCOLM CLARK <ma...@btinternet.com>.

Is this the W3 Ent collection you are indexing?

MC