Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> on 2023/02/16 14:42:07 UTC

[DISCUSS] Rebrand the JSON Request/Facet APIs

Hi devs,

Although it's been nagging me for a while, today it hit me that the "JSON request API" has a terrible name.

I hope to start a discussion on re-branding it and somehow pitch it as the (not-so-new) "V2" search / facet API. Good timing as part of the other V2 efforts.
That may in turn lead to increased usage and take the role as the "standard" search API instead of the "alternative".

Of course I know that what we normally mean as "V2" API is the /api/ URL, not the syntax of the payload, i.e. you can do both old-style and JSON-style  queries on both V1 adn V2 search endpoint. So I'm not sold on "V2" being the perfect name here. But from a pure branding perspective, signaling that it is the "new" way, perhaps it can fly?

See JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-16663 for some initial thougts. Please keep the broader discussion here, and more implementation related input in JIRA.

Jan

Re: [DISCUSS] Rebrand the JSON Request/Facet APIs

Posted by Houston Putman <ho...@apache.org>.

> If we're going to push for the JSON-style request DSL as well, do we need
> to come up with a shiny new name for that as well, or will JSON Request DSL
> work? It's basically a HTTP post with JSON instead of
> 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded'...

JSON Request DSL (or just JSON Request Language) is perfectly fine with me.
And once we get other initiatives out of the way, it would be great to see
Solr move more towards this. Other platforms (elastic, opensearch, mongo,
etc) have seen a lot of success here, and I think our old style syntax kind
of pushes new people away.

Obviously this is a separate (but related) topic on this thread, but I like
the name at least.

- Houston

Posted by Ere Maijala <er...@helsinki.fi>.
Hi,

Please bear with me if I'm completely lost in the forest. I don't have
much experience with what's currently called "JSON Request API" or "JSON
Facet API" as I'm mostly working on software that uses the (legacy
legacy?) GET request query string API. Which brings me to the point I'd
like to make.

Before any JSON API came to exist, there was just the one I still use.
And it was simple to use for simple things, such as writing a quick
query. And then when you realized you needed facets, you just added the
settings to the query. The tutorials and most of the Query Guide reflect
this, and hardly mention on any of the pages that the parameters
described are put in the query string.

But then the JSON Request API is a sub-page of Query Guide, and things
become confusing. It's not the same, and parameters described on other
pages are not the same. But you can still use it for searching and
faceting. But then there's the JSON Facet API, and the relation between
that and the JSON Request API seems obvious but isn't quite clear.

So whatever the results of this discussion are, I think they should be
reflected clearly in the documentation, preferable including any upsides
and downsides compared to other methods, and any relationship they may
have. An unambiguous name is important, but so is documentation. And the
definition of an API. To me the JSON Facet API looks more like a very
flexible and useful extension to the original query string API and not
really a full API, but it's quite possibly just me picking nits.

And then one thing about naming in general: calling anything "the legacy
one" or "the new one" becomes a bit problematic when the next version
after "the new one" is introduced. :)

Best,
Ere

Jan Høydahl kirjoitti 4.4.2023 klo 15.20:
> [...]
>>> it

>>> the

>>> faceting is

>>> and/or

>>> a.benedetti@sease.io>

>>> method
>>> other

>>> moment

>>> call

>>> houston@apache.org>

>>> lot

>>> jan.asf@cominvent.com>

>>> the

>>> it

>>> some
>>> more

>>> http://www.opensourceconnections.com/> | My Free/Busy <
>>> http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>
>>> https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/apache-solr-enterprise-search-server-third-edition-raw

>>> be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of

Ere Maijala
Kansalliskirjasto / The National Library of Finland

Re: [DISCUSS] Rebrand the JSON Request/Facet APIs

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
+1 to "Aggregation API"!

Posted by Michael Gibney <mi...@michaelgibney.net>.
I kind of like "Aggregation API" (or something similar).
Facets/stats/analytics are all definitely "aggregations". As luck
would have it, "aggregation" isn't yet used to mean something more
specific in Solr (right?), so we wouldn't have the problem of "it used
to mean X, but now it means Y". The term has the benefit of being both
accurate (semantically sound) and also corresponds to how analogous
functionality is named in comparable products. Regarding simply
calling it *THE* Faceting API -- I'm afraid in practice that
distinction would be lost on many users. Also, current "JSON Facet"
supports aggregate functions etc... are these really best described as
"facet functions" as opposed to "aggregations"?

From my perspective +1 on "v2" being overloaded (or maybe "overloaded"

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.

_______________________

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@apache.org>.
Hello,
Naming is not my favorite thing to do at all.
But, if I check the guide I have:

complex or nested facets

Checking thesaurus gives me:

grained, ingrained, deep,dwelt, dwelled, tree-ish, branched, flexible
composite, compound,  multiplex (multifacets? ), tangled, combined.

Does anything of this thesaurus resonate with someone?

On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 1:37 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

Re: [DISCUSS] Rebrand the JSON Request/Facet APIs

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alessandro Benedetti <a....@sease.io>.

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Houston Putman <ho...@apache.org>.