Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/09 20:23:22 UTC

Re: [iOS 8] WKWebView moving forward

Darryl: That plugin, based on inspection, is based off my work in
progress code (also used to be based off tmp loading, but now uses the
same httpserver method). The major thing I can see they added was
swizzling an AppDelegate method so it can work on any 3.x cordova-ios.

In other news -- the new Xcode 6.3 beta (iOS 8.3) does *not* contain
the loadFileURL:readAccessURL: selector that we are all waiting for
:'(
https://twitter.com/wkwebview/status/564865657225756672

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
No idea yet Darryl

Posted by Darryl Pogue <da...@dpogue.ca>.

Posted by Kerri Shotts <ke...@gmail.com>.
Why am I hearing the Hallelujah chorus?

I’m dong my happy dance now! :-)

Posted by Darryl Pogue <da...@dpogue.ca>.
IndexedDB news is looking a bit bleak:
https://gist.github.com/nolanlawson/08eb857c6b17a30c1b26

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tommy-carlos williams <to...@devgeeks.org>.
I hadn’t considered the space issue. Mind you, my apps are like 1.7MB. Not exactly space hogs. At least the camera and downloads issues would be fixed :(

--
tommy-carlos williams

On 10 June 2015 at 07:04:00, Shazron (shazron@gmail.com) wrote:

+1 to what Kerri said.
If we did it, it would be in Library/Caches since that is not backed up by
iTunes:
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/FileSystemProgrammingGuide/FileSystemOverview/FileSystemOverview.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010672-CH2-SW1

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1 to what Kerri said.

Posted by Kerri Shotts <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gerbasi <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chuck Lantz <cl...@microsoft.com>.
Hmmm.  Symlinks will break if the code ever touches Windows but they could be safely created as a part of a before_compile hook since that would only ever run on OSX practically speaking.  (after_prepare would still fire if you add iOS on Windows - which is something we talked about being a potential issue if platforms are referenced in package.json.)

-Chuck

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
I don't see moving the files to document out from bundle to documents on
first lunch as terrible thing. It can be implemented in the mean while.
In our downstream district of cordova this is how we handle dynamic app
update from server since bundle is read only.
But agree best solution is for wkwebview have proper fix.

Posted by Kerri Shotts <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by tommy-carlos williams <to...@devgeeks.org>.
I would certainly like to see a test to see what the lag is like...

--
tommy-carlos williams

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
I definitely will watch.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Yay !

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
Some have been asking -- why not use that Telerik plugin?

1. Swizzling will potentially come with some headaches in the future.
As it is currently, the Telerik plugin swaps implementations for an
AppDelegate function. So whatever changes we have in the AppDelegate
function in the future, it will be lost. The plugin could call the old
implementation as well (it does not do so currently), but of course
this could create problems as is. This would be hard to maintain with
potential future changes.

2. The Telerik plugin will not work if you have any file:// url
references when using the core Camera and File plugins. The pluggable
webview  (wkwebview-engine) and local httpserver proposed will have a
solution for this (still a work in progress, needs testing). The
Telerik plugin can of course copy from our proposed code to solve this
problem.

Blog post upcoming, I think, where I can just gather all info
regarding the planned work -- for the general public and not just us
devs.