Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Vasudha Puladasu <va...@launchsoft.com> on 2001/07/25 21:02:23 UTC

Seperation of Include & images from War file

Hi,
    My problem is ---
        I have a web application war file with all images , include files , jsp file & java file . When I deployed this war file , it is working fine without any problem.I want to pull out images & include files outside the war file. & try to access the images through  my jsps which are in war file ? How do I refer to this images . When I try to access , it complains always the context path is war name (ex: registration.war ,complains - context did not start with context path "/registration ) . How can I overcome this problem?

Thanks
Vasudha

Re: Seperation of Include & images from War file

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Vasudha Puladasu wrote:

> Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:02:23 -0700
> From: Vasudha Puladasu <va...@launchsoft.com>
> Cc: Vasudha Puladasu <va...@launchsoft.com>
> Subject: Seperation of Include &  images from War file
>
> Hi,
>     My problem is ---
>         I have a web application war file with all images , include
> files , jsp file & java file . When I deployed this war file , it is
> working fine without any problem.I want to pull out images & include
> files outside the war file. & try to access the images through my jsps
> which are in war file ? How do I refer to this images . When I try to
> access , it complains always the context path is war name (ex:
> registration.war ,complains - context did not start with context path
> "/registration ) . How can I overcome this problem?

The design philosophy behind web applications is that they are self
contained, stand alone, and can be independently upgraded and replaced.
What you are trying to do goes against those philosophies, so it is not
surprising that you are running into difficulties.

If your issue is that the same images are used in multiple webapps, a
better way to deal with that is in your development process that assembles
the webapp.  Make the build process for each webapp copy the images from
the a single common repository into that webapp.  In spite of the fact
that you end up having multiple copies of the images in different webapps,
this really is a more maintainable and manageable arrangement.

> Thanks
> Vasudha

Craig