Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> on 2006/02/13 21:15:13 UTC

1.9 RC1

I'd like to push out a 1.9 release candidate in the next week or so.
Are there any patches folks are really hoping to sneak into 1.9?  If so,
now's the time.

Doug

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
DM Smith wrote:
> Would that mean that 1.9 and 2.0 will be released at the same time?

No.  2.0 will be released after 1.9.  The primary change will be that
all deprecated methods are removed, but there may be other changes, but
probably not many.

Doug

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by DM Smith <dm...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by DM Smith <dm...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> I think moving forward the query parser and fileformat docs should be
> moved into docfile directories within the java source, so they are
> reved/tagged with the individual releases.  That way when people have
> questions about the file format of their index built with 1.9 they don't
> have to worry about changes that the version on the website documents the
> fileformat in 2.4 which is different.  Likwise for questions about what
> syntax is valid in the version of QueryParser they are using.

I agree that it would be useful to have multiple versions of the
documentation on the website.  (Any volunteers to re-architect the website?)

Currently the website is only meant to describe the current release.
Note that the fileformat and query parser syntax documentation is
included with releases, so that one can always refer to the
documentation downloaded, rather than the website.

Doug

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: This is a great time to improve the javadoc.  I see lots of blank boxes
: which could use a bit of descriptive text, for example:

That reminds me about a documentation/release issue that's been rolling
arround in the back of my mind that seems like it's only going to get
worse as future releases are made...

I think moving forward the query parser and fileformat docs should be
moved into docfile directories within the java source, so they are
reved/tagged with the individual releases.  That way when people have
questions about the file format of their index built with 1.9 they don't
have to worry about changes that the version on the website documents the
fileformat in 2.4 which is different.  Likwise for questions about what
syntax is valid in the version of QueryParser they are using.

The only problem is that since 1.4.3 and previous versions didn't include
these docs, the URL is the only resource they have. so i would suggest..

 1) Migrate the current versions of fileformats.html and
    queryparsersyntax.html into src/java/**/docfiles somwhere.
 2) Revert the version of fileformats.html and
    queryparsersyntax.html on the website to their state when 1.4.3 was
    released.
 3) Add a disclaimer at the top of those files indicating that they are
    for 1.4.3 and earlier, and are online for legacy purposes only.
    Developers using newer versions of lucene should consult the
    documentation included in the release they are using.

-Hoss

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Doug Cutting wrote:
> I'd like to push out a 1.9 release candidate in the next week or so. Are
> there any patches folks are really hoping to sneak into 1.9?  If so,
> now's the time.

This is a great time to improve the javadoc.  I see lots of blank boxes
which could use a bit of descriptive text, for example:

Most of the "Analysis" packages lack a package.html file, as does the
Spellchecker.

The new paramters classes lack class-level javadoc, namely:
   DateTools.Resolution
   Field.Index
   Field.Store
   Field.TermVector
   BooleanClause.Occur

Does anyone want to volunteer to fix these?

Doug

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Jeff Breidenbach <je...@jab.org>.
> This week is pretty booked for me, so, barring major objections, I will
> make a 1.9 RC1 release next Monday, February 20th.  If there are no
> problems discovered, I'll aim to make a 1.9 final release a week later,
> around the 27th.

Has anyone tested if 1.9 can build with a Free Software toolchain? (e.g.
kaffe)

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
I've been away from constant e-mail for several days (nice while it
lasted, but rough to come back to!)...

I'm +1 for 1.9 RC1, just for the record.  As for the copyright years
- those should reflect only the years those files were touched, at
least that is how it is carefully done with Ant and now Tapestry.

	Erik

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> I'm not sure what the ASF/Lucene policy is on keeping Copyright/License
> statements in source files up to date, but should they all be updated to
> say "Copyright 2006 The Apache Software Foundation" prior to a 1.9
> release?

It shouldn't hurt!

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I'd like to push out a 1.9 release candidate in the next week or so.

I'm not sure what the ASF/Lucene policy is on keeping Copyright/License
statements in source files up to date, but should they all be updated to
say "Copyright 2006 The Apache Software Foundation" prior to a 1.9
release?

I've seen a few that say 2005 and 2004.

-Hoss

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Maxim Patramanskij wrote:
> Doug,
>
> what about including optimization of BuffereIndexOutput.writeBytes()
> method:
>
> [ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-435?page=all ]
>

> made by Lukas Zapletal, into 1.9?

I just committed this to trunk.  If no issues arise with it there then
perhaps we can include it in 1.9 final.  It will certainly go into the
2.0 release, which will follow quite soon.

Thanks,

Doug

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Shay Banon <ki...@mac.com>.
Filed the bug, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-511 .
Also added the simple fix, it seems to work, and I think the rest of
the method is ok.

Shay

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Shay Banon <ki...@mac.com>.
Hi,

	I have just updated to lucene 1.9, and hit a problem with the
mentioned optimization. I have applied it to the my
JdbcBufferedOutput (I only duplicate the code because the BUFFER_SIZE
is final), and I hit a problem. In the following code fragment (the
method is writeBytes):

     } else {
       // is data larger then buffer?
       if (length > BUFFER_SIZE) {
         // we flush the buffer
         if (bufferPosition > 0)
           flush();
         // and write data at once
         flushBuffer(b, length);
       } else {

the bufferStart is not incremented after the flushBuffer method is
called. So if someone calls getFilePointer just afterwards, it will
give the wrong result (hit it with the compound format). A simple fix
would be to add bufferStart += length; just after flushBuffer.

By the way, is there a chance that BufferedIndexInput and
BufferedIndexOutput will have the buffer size as a member variable,
with a setter (or at least protected visibility), so I won't have to
duplicate the buffer support in Jdbc?

Shay

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Tatu Saloranta <co...@yahoo.com>.
--- Nadav Har'El <NY...@il.ibm.com> wrote:

> Dan Armbrust <da...@gmail.com> wrote
> on 17/02/2006 08:50:53
> PM:
> So I'm not sure the solution is to change the
> semantics of the existing
> constructor, but I think Lucene definitely need a
> new constructor or
> convenience
> function that will do "the right thing" for opening
> a potentially-existing

Or maybe get away from the vanilla constructor
mindset, and add more explicitly named factory
methods? Perhaps something like
IndexWriter.openOrCreate(), create() and open() (first
similar to append methods in streams, second for
overwrite, third for opening only if one exists). And
internally constructor could take set of arguments().

I mean, this same thing is done for Field(), with
somewhat improved construction semantics (although
semantics of Field object are bit messy, bundling both
field definition and value).

-+ Tatu +-

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Nadav Har'El <NY...@il.ibm.com>.
Dan Armbrust <da...@gmail.com> wrote on 17/02/2006 08:50:53
PM:
> Short summary - The Constructor for IndexWriter currently will only
> create an index in a folder if you set the boolean create flag to true.
>   But then, if you want to append to that index, you have to set the
> create flag to false (otherwise it overwrites)
>
> In my use cases, I seldom want to overwrite an index - but I often
> create new ones, and append to existing ones.  Forgetting to switch the
> boolean flag between the initial create and the append causes data loss.

Hi,

I agree: as a new user of Lucene, the first thing I wanted to do in my
program
was to open an existing index, or if one doesn't yet exist, create it. I
found
it very strange that this natural usage pattern wasn't naturally supported
by
Lucene. I ended up doing something complex like opening the index once with
create=false, and if that failed, try again with create=true, although this
had
additional problems like trying to recreate the index when we actually got
an
error which was not caused by a non-existant index.

So I'm not sure the solution is to change the semantics of the existing
constructor, but I think Lucene definitely need a new constructor or
convenience
function that will do "the right thing" for opening a potentially-existing

Nadav Har'El.

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Dan Armbrust <da...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to see this improvement request implemented - but I'm not sure
if 1.9 or 2.0 would be a better place to do it:

Short summary - The Constructor for IndexWriter currently will only
create an index in a folder if you set the boolean create flag to true.
  But then, if you want to append to that index, you have to set the
create flag to false (otherwise it overwrites)

In my use cases, I seldom want to overwrite an index - but I often
create new ones, and append to existing ones.  Forgetting to switch the
boolean flag between the initial create and the append causes data loss.

To me, a better, safer API would be to change the parameter named
"create" into "clear" - and then change the behavior so that is always
creates a new index at the specified location if one doesn't already exist.

If clear is false - it would append (same as current behavior) - and if
clear is true is would clear first, and then create a new index.  So
nobody using the API should break.

Dan

Re: 1.9 RC1

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Maxim - vote for it.  Not guaranteed to get tihngs in, but votes helps us see what people need/want/like.

Otis

Re: 1.9 RC1