Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/06/17 20:19:14 UTC

With Apache OpenOffice you get what you don't pay for

We've noticed a scam recently where people were fooled into paying a
3rd party website to download OpenOffice. But OpenOffice is free to
download from http://www.openoffice.org/.

You know this, of course.  Anyone who has visited the website know
this.  But many do not know this.

Can you help us educate the public that OpenOffice is free for everyone?

Click the links on the "Help Spread the Word" section of this page, if
you want to help:

http://www.download.openoffice.org/download/

More info in this blog post:

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/with_apache_openoffice_you_get

Thanks!

-Rob

Re: With Apache OpenOffice you get what you don't pay for

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 6:11 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 17/06/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> Click the links on the "Help Spread the Word" section of this page, if
>> you want to help:
>> http://www.download.openoffice.org/download/
>

> This link (in the blog post too) works, but it isn't our canonical download
> page. It works because http://www.download.openoffice.org and
> http://www.openoffice.org are the same site.
>
> Is there a reason for this, or should the blog post be updated to simply
> suggest http://www.openoffice.org/download/ (the same link we publish on the
> website)?

Looks like an error. I'm surprised it resolved correctly.  It is corrected now.

Thanks,

-Rob

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Opinions expressed in this communication reflect the author's
individual personal view, not necessarily that of an amorphous
collective.  The above statements do not reflect an official position
of any organization, corporation, religion (organized or disorganized)
or national football association.  The contents of said note are not
guaranteed to have been spell checked, grammar checked or reviewed for
metrical infelicities.  The contents of this post may not be suitable
for those whose native language is not logic.  Caution should be
exercised when operating heavy machinery when reading this note, or
even when not reading it.  Seriously, heavy machinery is dangerous.
Be careful.

Re: With Apache OpenOffice you get what you don't pay for

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by JB <yo...@lavabit.com>.
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:19:14 -0400
Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> We've noticed a scam recently where people were fooled into paying a
> 3rd party website to download OpenOffice. But OpenOffice is free to
> download from http://www.openoffice.org/.
>
> You know this, of course.  Anyone who has visited the website know
> this.  But many do not know this.
>
> Can you help us educate the public that OpenOffice is free for everyone?
>
> Click the links on the "Help Spread the Word" section of this page, if
> you want to help:
>
> http://www.download.openoffice.org/download/

  Done!

--
"Americans [have] the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the citizens of
other countries whose governments are afraid to trust their people with arms."