Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Mark J Cox <ma...@ukweb.com> on 1996/06/06 13:02:30 UTC

Re: okay, the final, mod_imap.c patch

> As best I can tell on a Thursday morning at 5am, here's what I submit as
> the final patch for mod_imap.c.  I think I've finally figured out my way
> around the module, and this patch fixes several things, all of which I

I've just tested this with my test cases and it works much better than
any previous patches, +1 on this being in 1.1b3 as soon as possible.

But I did find two more potential problems with mod_imap;

1. If the co-ordinates 0,0 are requested by the client, mod_imap returns
   it's default menu rather than whatever rectangle includes 0,0

2. Our imagemap .imap files get created by a Mac user and have "\r" line
   endings (yuk); mod_imap creates a blank menu for text users.

Mark

Re: okay, the final, mod_imap.c patch

Posted by "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com>.
Mark> 2. Our imagemap .imap files get created by a Mac user and have
Mark> "\r" line endings (yuk); mod_imap creates a blank menu for text
Mark> users.

I always tell our Mac users to use text mode for the ftp transfer of
any MAP file.  They also need to do that for CGI scripts (sorry, we
just don't have any executable named `/usr/bin/perl^M# [etc]'....)
so it isn't much more effort for them to do it for MAPs.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.	<URL:http://www.jhcloos.com/~cloos/>
cloos@jhcloos.com	Work: cloos@io.com

Re: okay, the final, mod_imap.c patch

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Mark J Cox wrote:
> The other Mark Cox wrote:
> > 1. If the co-ordinates 0,0 are requested by the client, mod_imap returns
> >    it's default menu rather than whatever rectangle includes 0,0
>
>      if....(testpoint[X] == 0  && testpoint[Y] == 0) ) {
>               /* if either is -1 or if both are zero (new Lynx) */
>               /* we don't have valid coordinates */
>
>      So is 0,0 legal?

This mod_imap was built upon a document, which I can not locate right
now, called "Guide to implementing imagemap support in servers for
non-graphical browsers", or something like that, I believe by one of the
Lynx-FM developers.  Hopefully someone can locate it using a search
engine or something.  Anyways, one of the more distinctive requirements
was that "map?0,0" be supported the same way as "map", since newer Lynx
browsers sends "0,0" on requests for imagemaps.  The logic behind that
was that so many imagemap implementations fell over when given no
coordinates, that at least "0,0" usually gave them the default.

> > 2. Our imagemap .imap files get created by a Mac user and have "\r" line
> >    endings (yuk); mod_imap creates a blank menu for text users.
>
> Ignore that; it doesn't work at all with only "\r" line endings.

Okay, looks like cfg_getline would need to be fixed - it's trained to
ignore CR's.  What it needs is to realize line breaks can be

CRLF

or

CR

or

LF

I thought this was in the HTTP rules as well...

	Brian

brian@organic.com  |  We're hiring!  http://www.organic.com/Home/Info/Jobs/

Re: okay, the final, mod_imap.c patch

Posted by Mark J Cox <ma...@ukweb.com>.