Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by michel <co...@videotron.ca> on 2009/02/07 02:50:47 UTC

Running Derby on Tomcat

Hi,

I've been trying to get Derby running on Tomcat with no luck. When I try to
get a java server page to connect it keeps telling me that it can't find the derby client driver. I start Tomcat with this:

  #!/bin/sh

    JAVA_HOME=/lib/sun-jdk-1.5.0
    JAVA_OPTS="-server"
    CATALINA_HOME=/share/tomcat-5.5.14
    CATALINA_BASE=$(cd $(dirname $0)/.. && pwd)
    CATALINA_PID=$CATALINA_BASE/logs/catalina.pid
    export JAVA_HOME JAVA_OPTS CATALINA_HOME CATALINA_BASE CATALINA_PID
    $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh $(basename $0)

    export DERBY_INSTALL=/home/qsys/derby
    export DERBY_HOME=/home/qsys/derby
    export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:$DERBY_INSTALL/lib/derby.jar:$DERBY_INSTALL/lib/derbyclient.jar:$DERBY_INSTALL/lib/derbytools.jar:.

I can run the following and work with derby with simmilar code as the above (I added $DERBY_INSTALL/lib/derbyclient.jar to Tomcat start script):

    export DERBY_INSTALL=/home/qsys/derby
    export DERBY_HOME=/home/qsys/derby
    export CLASSPATH=$DERBY_INSTALL/lib/derby.jar:$DERBY_INSTALL/lib/derbytools.jar:.
    /home/qsys/derby/bin/setEmbeddedCP
    java org.apache.derby.tools.sysinfo
    java org.apache.derby.tools.ij

so the classpath is correct. Is there an obvious stupid mistake in how I am setting the classpath?

Re: Running Derby on Tomcat

Posted by michel <co...@videotron.ca>.
Chuck,

I will do that and thanks!

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: Running Derby on Tomcat

Posted by michel <co...@videotron.ca>.
Chuck,

Thanks! I am using the default tomcat for my hosting and it has the
classpath in the default startup. I am wondering if that isn't a reason for
all the weird problems.

Thanks again!

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.