Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> on 2004/07/20 20:22:03 UTC

VOTE: Change Token to public

I'm voting, based on discussions on lucene-user, to make Token public.
+1

Any objections?   Discussion?

	Erik

Re: VOTE: Change Token to public

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jul 20, 2004, at 3:47 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> Erik Hatcher wrote:
>> I'm voting, based on discussions on lucene-user, to make Token
>> public.  +1
>
> I think you mean to make Token non-final, in which case I'm +1 too.

Oops, yes, I mean non-final.

> Probably we should also make the accessors non-final, make the fields
> private and add setters for some (or all) of the fields.  This will
> also require a few changes to other classes in the analysis package
> which access the currently package private fields, making them instead
> use accessors.  In short, we need a diff, complete with javadoc
> comments.

Also, I implicitly intended for the changes you mention to take place
for changes to the fields of Token.  Sorry, I should have specified
that.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> I'm voting, based on discussions on lucene-user, to make Token public.  +1

I think you mean to make Token non-final, in which case I'm +1 too.

Probably we should also make the accessors non-final, make the fields
private and add setters for some (or all) of the fields.  This will also
require a few changes to other classes in the analysis package which
access the currently package private fields, making them instead use
accessors.  In short, we need a diff, complete with javadoc comments.

John, would you like to submit such a patch?

In general, things are expedited by high-quality patches accompanied by
a description of the problems solved by the patch.  A simple request to
make more stuff non-final is too vague to be acted on.

Doug