Posted to community@apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2002/10/30 05:06:57 UTC

committers repos (was: ASF Membership Nomination)

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 12:50:59AM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> What about using CVS for this? Can only committers
> checkout the "committers" module? (I see that it is
> not available via ViewCVS.)

Yes, the committers repos is only available to committers. Its absence from
ViewCVS is probably more of an oversight than intended, but that *is* the
correct standpoint. The repos contains committer-private information; in
particular, the hackathon signup sheet is there -- the hackathon is not a
public event.

I've been thinking about putting a list of all the top-level projects in
there and detailing who is on the PMC for each, along with the chair. Partly
for my own benefit when I need to mail the PMC Chairs for their reports to
the Board :-)

> If so then that makes it
> a semi-private place. Each project could have their own
> document (e.g. cocoon-new-committers.txt) where we discuss
> via editing the file.
>
> This also helps to keep track of various developers that
> we may want to invite later. Too often i have seen people
> overlooked because we have just plain forgotten to invite
> them.

That repository is open to all committers. While we don't want each person
to have a field day in there, I'd also point out that you *can* put whatever
you think is appropriate into it. Just try to be considerate about the
structure you use. Until we switch to Subversion, CVS is rather stiff with
its directory layout :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: committers repos (was: ASF Membership Nomination)

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> So what's the hackathon? [Beyond the obvious of people doing some kind of
> coding in a big session]. Does it have a focus, or completely open play
> etc?

ben laurie should answer this one, but i think he's semi-offline
the hackathon is two days of committers and invited contributors
getting face-time to network and hack on whatever they want, in
a single room with network access.  (in london there were forty of
us and the network access was a single 56kbd dialup line, which
was amazing.)

> Another question to the community, will ApacheCon contain more in the way
> of Java project talks in the future? I'd always ignored ApacheCon
> information as in years passed Apache meant httpd to me. Looking at the
> upcoming one, there seem to be only two talks which would appeal to
> Jakarta as a community and both are quite vague and Tomcat focused.

we can only choose from the proposals we receive.  if no-one submits
any java project talks, there won't be any at apachecon.  at the moment
i don't think there is anyone from jakarta on the planning committee (which
i think should be populated with people with as broad a participation in
the asf as possible), so we have to consult people or wing it.  but mostly
it's the number of submissions received.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

ApacheCon & Jakarta (was committers repos)

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Another question to the community, will ApacheCon contain more in the way
> of Java project talks in the future? I'd always ignored ApacheCon
> information as in years passed Apache meant httpd to me. Looking at the
> upcoming one, there seem to be only two talks which would appeal to
> Jakarta as a community and both are quite vague and Tomcat focused.

Here are the sessions I see that are Jakarta related:

TU02 - Cocoon (its Java afterall!)

TU06 - abstract says Jetspeed

TU14 - this is me and Ant :) - and not Tomcat related at all

TU16 - I'm bummed because this one is while I'm speaking, but its on
Axis, which is Java.

WE02 - BSF, again, very Java related

WE06 - What is more Jakarta than Struts and Craig McClanahan?  :)

WE08 - Xerces-J

WE16 - Tomcat

TH02 - Turbine

TH06 - Commercial software and Jakarta

TH13 - LDAP, but it mentions Java in the categories

TH20 - Tomcat and Security

TH22 - Looks Java/Axis-centric to me

> There are some xml ones which might be of interest to the community.

Yes, lots of XML above, but all seem quite relevant to most Jakarta
folks, I think.

So it seems Jakarta is much better represented than one might think just
from the talk titles (I drilled into each one to get the list above).

See you there?!  :)

	Erik

Re: committers repos (was: ASF Membership Nomination)

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 12:50:59AM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> > What about using CVS for this? Can only committers
> > checkout the "committers" module? (I see that it is
> > not available via ViewCVS.)
>
> Yes, the committers repos is only available to committers. Its absence from
> ViewCVS is probably more of an oversight than intended, but that *is* the
> correct standpoint. The repos contains committer-private information; in
> particular, the hackathon signup sheet is there -- the hackathon is not a
> public event.

So what's the hackathon? [Beyond the obvious of people doing some kind of
coding in a big session]. Does it have a focus, or completely open play
etc?

Another question to the community, will ApacheCon contain more in the way
of Java project talks in the future? I'd always ignored ApacheCon
information as in years passed Apache meant httpd to me. Looking at the
upcoming one, there seem to be only two talks which would appeal to
Jakarta as a community and both are quite vague and Tomcat focused.

There are some xml ones which might be of interest to the community.

Is this normal for ApacheCon? Or just an oddity. If it is normal, why is
it normal? I think the answer to that might be enlightening.

> I've been thinking about putting a list of all the top-level projects in
> there and detailing who is on the PMC for each, along with the chair. Partly
> for my own benefit when I need to mail the PMC Chairs for their reports to
> the Board :-)

+1. Knowing the scope/size of the community is a good way to understand
the community and become a part of the community.

Hen

RE: committers repos (was: ASF Membership Nomination)

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
I cant think of anything I want to put in here, but would it be worth having a guideline like..
"commiters can put anything in commiters/personal/~username" ?