Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Debraj Manna <su...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/29 14:07:46 UTC

How maven repositories are resolved?

Cross-posting from stackoverflow
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/63071141/how-maven-repositories-are-resolved>

Let's say my settings.xml is defined like below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><settings
xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.1.0
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/settings-1.1.0.xsd"
xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.1.0"
 <profiles>
   <profile>
     <repositories>
       <repository>
         <snapshots>
           <enabled>false</enabled>
         </snapshots>
         <id>central</id>
         <name>libs-release</name>
         <url>http://artifactory.ark.local:8080/libs-release</url>
       </repository>
       <repository>
            <id>vmware-repo</id>
            <name>VM Nexus Repo</name>
            <url>http://build-squid.eng.vm.com/nexus/content/groups/repo</url>
            <releases>
                <enabled>true</enabled>
            </releases>
            <snapshots>
                <enabled>false</enabled>
            </snapshots>
        </repository>
       <repository>
         <snapshots />
         <id>snapshots</id>
         <name>libs-snapshot</name>
         <url>http://artifactory.ark.local:8080/libs-snapshot</url>
       </repository>
     </repositories>
     <pluginRepositories>
       <pluginRepository>
         <snapshots>
           <enabled>false</enabled>
         </snapshots>
         <id>central</id>
         <name>plugins-release</name>
         <url>http://artifactory.ark.local:8080/plugins-release</url>
       </pluginRepository>
       <pluginRepository>
         <snapshots />
         <id>snapshots</id>
         <name>plugins-snapshot</name>
         <url>http://artifactory.ark.local:8080/plugins-snapshot</url>
       </pluginRepository>
     </pluginRepositories>
     <id>artifactory</id>
   </profile>
 </profiles>
 <activeProfiles>
   <activeProfile>artifactory</activeProfile>
 </activeProfiles></settings>

In a multimodule project of the form

main
    storage
        metrics
        config
    common

Let's say in metrics pom if a repository is added.

<repository>
  <id>cloudera</id>

   1.

   If a dependency is defined in A which is present in both cloudera repo
   and local nexus repo how maven will resolve the repository? Will, it first
   try to download from cloudera repo and if there is some problem then it
   will go in local nexus repo or it will check only in cloudera repo and if
   it is not present it will give error without trying from local nexus repo?
   2.

   Does the answer to the above question change based on if A is defined as
   a dependency in metric or some other pom where the repository is not
   defined?

Maven Version - 3.6.3

Re: How maven repositories are resolved?

Posted by Debraj Manna <su...@gmail.com>.
Thanks John for such a detailed explanation. Few doubts

For release version assuming empty local repo.
> - Build order this time alpha, bravo, charlie
> - Alpha needs A, and Aa is downloaded as it's in central repo and that
> was 1st repo in the order list

When you say central repo is the first repo in the order list , how is
order determined? Is it because central repo is defined before company repo
in the settings.xml ?

What is the "cache" you are referring to in your answer?