Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by bu...@daniel-vogelheim.de on 2002/05/04 23:00:34 UTC

Can't connect to MySQL with Cocoon 2

Hello all,

I have a problem connecting to a MySQL database with Cocoon. When I
try to access a page that goes through the SQLTransformer, the browser
doesn't deliver any result. There's no error message, the browser just
sits there and waits for data. The Coccon core.log file contains an
error message "No valid Jdbc Connection class available". (More
details follow below.)

I've checked Google, the mailing list archive, and the FAQs, but
didn't find anything that seemed to help. I'm surely missing
something; aynone out there can help me?

Thanks,
Daniel

Some more details:

 WEB-INF/logs/sitemap.log contains:
------------------------------------
DEBUG   (2002-05-01) 21:21.01:120
[sitemap.transformer.sql](/cocoon/xxx/1.html)
Thread-15/SQLTransformer: SQLTransformer executing query nr 0
DEBUG   (2002-05-01) 21:21.01:124
[sitemap.transformer.sql](/cocoon/xxx/1.html)
Thread-15/SQLTransformer$Query: EXECUTING
   SELECT * FROM PERSONEN WHERE ID = 1
DEBUG   (2002-05-01) 21:21.01:147
[sitemap.transformer.sql](/cocoon/xxx/1.html)
Thread-15/SQLTransformer$Query: SQLTransformer$Query: could no
t acquire a Connection -- waiting 5000 ms to try again.

The last message gets repeated over and over again. The query looks
OK, but apparently something goes wrong, and Cocoon just tries again.
That doesn't really make sense to me, since what ever is going wrong,
will be just as wrong 5s later. Anyway... so something is wrong with
the SQL connection. But what?

 WEB-INF/logs/core.log contains:
------------------------------------
WARN    (2002-05-01) 21:55.23:219
[core.datasources.stammbaum-mysql](/cocoon/xxx/1.html)
Thread-15/LogKitLogger: Could not return Connection
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.NoValidConnectionException: No
valid Jdbc Connection class available
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.JdbcConnectionFactory.newInsta
nce(JdbcConnectionFactory.java:183)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.ResourceLimitingPool.newPoolable(Res
ourceLimitingPool.java:491)
[...]

The stack trace is much longer; I'm happy to send more if anyone can
use this. Cocoon can't get Jdbc Connection class. What does that mean?

 Excerpt from sitemap.xmap
----------------------------
The relevant pipeline definition looks like:
(If you're wondering why I use an XML serializer on an *.html ending:
That's just for debugging; shouldn't have anything to do with the
problem, right?)

 <map:pipeline>
  <map:match pattern="xxx/*.html">
   <map:generate src="xxx/person.xml"/>
   <map:transform type="sql">
    <map:parameter name="use-connection" value="xxx-mysql"/>
    <map:parameter name="id" value="{1}"/>
   </map:transform>
   <map:serialize type="xml"/>
  </map:match>
 </map:pipeline>

 Excerpt from WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf
-----------------------------------
    <jdbc logger="core.datasources.xxx-mysql" name="xxx-mysql">
      <dburl>jdbc:mysql://localhost/xxx</dburl>
      <user>daniel</user>
      <password/>
    </jdbc>

I can connect fine to the database using ODBC from Windows, and that
parameter set. So I don't suspect anything wrong here.

 Excerpt from WEB-INF/web.xml
------------------------------
  <init-param>
    <param-name>load-class</param-name>
    <param-value>
[...snip ...]
      <!-- MySQL JDBC driver -->
      org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
    </param-value>
  </init-param>

This loads the JDBC driver, right?

 System and Software versions
------------------------------
- Coccon 2.0.2
- Tomcat 3.3.1
- Sun Java JSDK 1.4, Linux
- RedHat Linux 7.2
- mm.mysql JDBC driver 2.0.13
  (copied into WEB-INF/libs)
- MySQL 3.23.41
  (running on same host)

Re: Try this Re: Can't connect to MySQL with Cocoon 2

Posted by Roger I Martin PhD <hy...@hypernexinc.com>.
Hi,

The WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf I use has the

<datasources>

<jdbc name="HWITCD">

<driver>@database-driver@</driver>

<pool-controller min="1" max="10"/>

<!--auto-commit>false</auto-commit-->

<dburl>@database-url@</dburl>

<user>@database-user@</user>

<password>@database-password@</password>

</jdbc>

</datasources>

where in the database.properties

database-driver=org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver

database-url=jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/WITCD

database-user=martin

database-password=martin

I'm using the

http://www.worldserver.com/mm.mysql -> http://mmmysql.sourceforge.net/

JDBC driver. And using Tomcat v4.0-b7 but usually is not a problem.

More later,

-Roger

Posted by Arda Balci <ar...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Roger,

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Re: Try this Re: Can't connect to MySQL with Cocoon 2

Posted by Roger I Martin PhD <hy...@hypernexinc.com>.
Hi,

I am a fellow applier of Cocoon and MySQL.  If you haven't solved it yet
perhaps you may want to attach you mysql connection files, excerpts from the
tomcat/logs.localhost*.txt for the error, versions, etc.  I can look at it
tomorrow morning.

I had originally modified Avalon Pool connection(still using it) to get it
to work with jvm 1.4 and MySQL.  I am in the middle of getting the latest
HEAD of Cocoon2 and avalon to work with the jvm and MySQL and trying to
determine the problem there so might as well look at more of the same:)

-Roger

Posted by "Conrad F. D'Cruz" <co...@netswirl.com>.
Daniel,

Maybe I don't understand using databases with Cocoon after all.  Are you
using
the database for logging?  If not why did you define it in the <jdbc>
block in the xconf
file that way (as a logger)?

Here is what I did to get it working (and I got these steps from the
userdocs)

1) I put the mysql.jar file (which contains the mysql jdbc driver) in the
tomcat4.01/lib directory.
    I vaguely remember having trouble when it was in the
cocoon/WEB-INF/lib ... and once
    it started working I did not complain or spend additional time
researching why it failed
    down in the lower directory.

2) I created a jdbc block in the cocoon.xconf file as follows ...

       <jdbc name="mysql_pool">
         <pool-controller min="5" max="10"/>
         <dburl>jdbc:mysql://localhost/mydb</dburl>
         <user>root</user>
         <password></password>
       </jdbc>

where ... mydb is the (very creative) name I chose for the database.

3) In the webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF directory ... I put the following in
the web.xml file ...

    <init-param>
      <param-name>load-class</param-name>
      <param-value>

        <!-- For MySQL on localhost-->
        org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver

     <!-- For JDBC-ODBC Bridge: -->
        sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver

        <!-- For parent ComponentManager sample:
        org.apache.cocoon.samples.parentcm.Configurator  -->
      </param-value>
    </init-param>

4) Finally I use the mysql_pool, as follows

In  the sitemap ... within the <map:pipeline>the transformer looks like
this

      <map:transform type="sql">
        <map:parameter name="use-connection" value="mysql_pool"/>

5) In the content source file for the <map:generator> component I have
this code ...
(note there is more than just this code in the file.  In the interest of
space I am just
showing the sql stuff)

  <execute-query xmlns="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/2.0">
   <query>
        select * from emp where name='Conrad'
   </query>
  </execute-query>

(of course there was a table named emp in mydb ... and it was set up
correctly and
I made sure there was data in that table -- I verified everything from the
"mysql" console)

... then I fired up Cocoon (and prayed for a miracle!!).  The C2 gods must
have
been pleased with me that day ... because ... it worked!!!

I, however, did not have a bottle of champagne when I saw the data in my
browser ...
but it worked!! and I was not going to complain about format etc etc.
That is the
topic for another bottle of champagne :)

Hope that helps
Conrad

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Daniel Vogelheim [mailto:bulk@daniel-vogelheim.de]
>
> Hello,
>
> >You can install *headless X* (Xvfb) which is BTW faster than X.
>
> Yes, I had already discovered this in the FAQ, but had hoped to get
> away without. I'll first try the configuration that Conrad F. D'Cruz
> sent (btw, thanks Conrad!), to make sure I can't fix it in my
> configuration. If that doesn't work, I will install Xvfb. Either way,
> I think that problem is solved.
>
> >Or you
> >can just *not* install Batik (delete the batik jar and compile
cocoon).
> >The samples may have to be tweaked not to use Batik, but it will
work.

> ... but I _want_ to use Batik. And MySQL. But not X!  ;-)

RTFM http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html: "Headless UNIX
and PJA"

Vadim

Posted by Daniel Vogelheim <bu...@daniel-vogelheim.de>.
Hello,

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
You can install *headless X* (Xvfb) which is BTW faster than X.  Or you
can just *not* install Batik (delete the batik jar and compile cocoon).
The samples may have to be tweaked not to use Batik, but it will work.

Lastly if you're really industrious you can use PJA....but I couldn't
get the sucker to work with jdk 1.3.1.

-Andy

On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 10:03, Daniel Vogelheim wrote:
> Hello Zack,
>
> >Apparently a lot of people have been having trouble getting mySQL+C2 to work
> >with the 1.4 JDK. I'd try 1.3 and see if that helps any. HTH.
>
> Thanks; that solves it. With IBM's JDK 1.3 my setup worked right away.
>
> The reason I used JDK 1.4 is because I don't run X. According to the
> FAQ, only JDK 1.4 can run in 'headless' mode, and indeed with JDK 1.3
> Cocoon doesn't start unless I also run X. So my problem is solved for
> now, but I'm hoping for a better long-term solution (i.e., no X, and
> still MySQL access).
>
> Thanks everyone!
>
> Sincerely,
> Daniel
>

> [original problem was:]
> >> I have a problem connecting to a MySQL database with Cocoon. When I
> >> try to access a page that goes through the SQLTransformer, the browser
> >> doesn't deliver any result. There's no error message, the browser just
> >> sits there and waits for data. The Coccon core.log file contains an
> >> error message "No valid Jdbc Connection class available". (More
> >> details follow below.)
> >>
> >> I've checked Google, the mailing list archive, and the FAQs, but
> >> didn't find anything that seemed to help. I'm surely missing
> >> something; aynone out there can help me?
> [snip]

http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
		    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: Can't connect to MySQL with Cocoon 2

Posted by Daniel Vogelheim <bu...@daniel-vogelheim.de>.
Hello Zack,

Posted by Zack Angelo <za...@nostromocorp.com>.
Daniel,

Apparently a lot of people have been having trouble getting mySQL+C2 to work
with the 1.4 JDK. I'd try 1.3 and see if that helps any. HTH.

-Zack