Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Bryan Zarnett <bz...@mac.com> on 2002/09/17 02:22:45 UTC

Cocoon and Web Applications

Thanks for everyone's input on the XML Generation. Taking some of those
comments and going through the documentation, I came down with the
following simple (and hopefully close to correct) conclusions. The idea
here is that Cocoon would be used in a web application with Cocoon
responsible for presentation and user navigation and a web service
using REST responsible for business rules.

* The user sends down an Action Name which defines the operational
request the user wishes to invoke. This action name is used in the site
map to determine the appropriate action to apply.

* The action acts as a controller, processing user input and invoking
one or more distributed business services (REST, EJB, etc.) that return
back one or more transport objects. The action aggregates the transport
objects and places them into request attributes.

* The generator takes the request objects and converts them to XML,
passing the information onto a transformer.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Re: Cocoon and Web Applications

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Bryan,

This is a good summary of what I believe Cocoon applications should be like.

Ivelin

Posted by Bryan Zarnett <bz...@mac.com>.
In the application I am  writing, I have created a custom generator
that understands JaxB based objects, thus providing the
marshalling/unmarshalling mechanism for XML.  In my circumstance, each
transport object is a JAXB component used against both presentation
transformation and communication between the action and the REST-based
service.

Posted by Yatin Shah <no...@kripa.com>.