Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2004/06/25 14:32:15 UTC

Re: Use Cocoon as a rapid development tool?? (Jetty vs Tomcat)

Wow, Jetty must be *very* fast - I usually only
have to wait a few seconds for a Tomcat restart
on my machine....

>>> u.cei@cbim.it 2004/06/25 02:25:12 PM >>>
Derek Hohls wrote:
> If I rebuild Cocoon and deploy it, using Tomcat,
> does it not write over all my exisiting settings
> and changes?

It depends on how you organize your dev environment. When I start a new

Cocoon-based project, I usually:

- compile the latest version incuding just the blocks I need
- edit the build/webapp/sitemap.xmap file removing everything but the
<map:components> section
- copy the WEB-INF directory and the sitemap to my project
- import new CVS module in my own repository
- start adding functionality

This way, if I want to later add other blocks or upgrade to a newer
version, all I have to do is overwrite files in WEB-INF and never touch

my application files.

In other words, I don't do applications by extending Cocoon, but I add

Cocoon to my apps, so to say.

And I never use Tomcat in development. I use Jetty and if I need to ad
new JAR I just restart it. Jetty's startup is very fast, compared to
Tomcat.

> Simpler = download and unzip zip file  and
> copy into an existing Cocoon instance.

Maybe when we have real blocks.

> I do not deal with transactions and its not clear to me
> what "resource management" means in this context.

Properly acquiring and releasing session, for instance.

	Ugo

believed to be clean.

Re: Use Cocoon as a rapid development tool?? (Jetty vs Tomcat)

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Derek Hohls wrote:
> Wow, Jetty must be *very* fast - I usually only
> have to wait a few seconds for a Tomcat restart
> on my machine....

Jetty is much faster than TC4.  TC5 has sped up considerably since TC4, so if I'm worried about
startup time, I'll use either Jetty or TC5.

Tony