Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/16 16:02:07 UTC

0.90 release notes

The release notes are quite a public part of the release doc so be good to
make them sound good.

There's a start of some text here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/sca/distribution/src/main/release/RELEASE_NOTES

Please update as you see fit or reply to this email with improvements.

  ...ant

Re: 0.90 release notes

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Nice list. Just to be clear. When you say, for example,

org.apache.tuscany.sca.assembly

Do you mean just the interfaces in this package or do you include interfaces
from any of the subpackages? For example,

org.apache.tuscany.sca.assembly.builder

Simon

Re: 0.90 release notes

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Comments inline.

Simon Laws wrote:
> I think it is quite important to have a high level list of features
> associated with each release. I'm not prsenting the gory detail of what
> doesn't work but trying to present and accurate picture of what does.
> Everyone can then see what is in a release. So to the "does it go in
> RELEASE_NOTES?" question. I am proposing we take the high level feature
> bullet points and add something along the lines of.
>
> Features
> =======
> - A clear set of SPIs intended to be stable over future releases
> -- core-spi
> -- assembly
> -- interface
> -- ???

I added an initial list of SPI package names to the release notes (under
revision r538821). Unless I missed anything, these are our only SPIs,
everything else is implementation internals and should not be used (or
used at your own risks).

> - Extensions now loaded via Java service mechanism
> -- Refactored extensions to use new SPIs (see below)
>
> - Improved Package/Class naming consistency across modules
>
> - New assembly model implementation taking into account SCA 1.0 artifacts
> -- Data duplication between assembly model and runtime reduced

more than reduced, actually eliminated :)

> - Simple single process domain support
> -- Contributions support to scope items being deployed into the runtime
>
> - Maven and Ant base sample builds in the binary distribution
>
> - Support for all of Java Annotations and API Specification V1.0 apart
> from
> -- ???
>
> - Implementation Extensions
> -- Java
> -- Script supporting (Ruby, Python, Groovy, JavaScript)
>
> - Binding Extensions
> -- Axis2
> -- RMI
> -- JSONRPC
>
> -Databinding Extensions
> -- Axiom
> -- JAXB
> -- SDO
>
> - Hosting Extension
> -- Embedded
> -- Tomcat
> -- Jetty
> -- RMI
>
> Do you think that is too much? This is the kind of thing I actively
> look for
> in a release notes. I.e I want to know what's changed. However I do
> see your
> point about cluttering the RELEASE_NOTES so how about we instigate a
> CHANGES
> file and put this info there.  I would also like to see the information
> somewhere up on the web site so I'll try and work that in when we get
> to the
> point of putting the release artifacts up.
>
> Simon

Cool, this is a nice list and structure I think.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: 0.90 release notes

Re: 0.90 release notes

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 5/16/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Having to think about release notes kicked off a thought. I've been back
> the wiki and reorganized the Wish List [1] and Next Release [2] pages a
> little to help us do this next time round.
>
> I've translated the notes we made on the precursor to these pages [3]. I
> would like to add a feature list to the release notes. I'd also like to
> repeat it on the web site under "Current Release" or "Release 0.90" or
> whatever.
>
> Before I knock it into you release notes page can everyone take a look and
> see what is missing. It would also be good to get a feel of what areas of
> the 1.0 pec API we don't do a full job on yet. I've created a list of
> annotations and API from the Java spec just to jog people's memory. I
> don't
> propose we put that list in the feature list, just a note of what isn't
> there yet so if you could mark on what isn't yet I can have a quick scout
> through the code to check first thing in the morning.
>
> Regards
>
> Simon
>
> [1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/SCA+Java+Wish+List
> [2]
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/SCA+Java+Next+Release
> [3]
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/Java+SCA+Next+Release+Contents

This is great, the current release notes really was just intended to prompt
others to contribute content. I do think we should bare in mind that release
notes are an opportunity to advertise and not necessarily to point out all
the gory details of whats there and whats not yet supported - especially for
a pre-1.0 release. This is a document most people vaguely interested in the
Tuscany release will likely read but most of them will lose interest quickly
if its too long, so I think concise and positive and helpful. Could we have
another document, something like spec compliance and features list, if we
really must list out all the gory details of whats there and what doesn't
work?

   ...ant

Re: 0.90 release notes