Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> on 2017/07/24 08:22:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] Closing old Pull Requests on Github

Hi,

While writing this e-mail we have 191 Open Pull requests [0] on Github and that number keeps hovering around ~200.

We have a great number of PRs being merged, but a lot of code is old and doesn't even merge anymore.

My proposal would be that we close all PRs which didn't see any activity in the last 3 months (Jun, July and May 2017) with the following message:

"This Pull Request is being closed for not seeing any activity since May 2017.

The CloudStack project is in a transition from the Apache Foundation's Git infrastructure to Github and due to that not all PRs we able to be tested and/or merged.

It's not our intention to say that we don't value the PR, but it's a way to get a better overview of what needs to be merged.

If you think closing this PR is a mistake, please add a comment and re-open the PR! If you do that, could you please make sure that the PR merges against the branch it was submitted against?

Thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation!"

How does that sound?

Wido

[0]: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pulls

Re: [DISCUSS] Closing old Pull Requests on Github

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
My personal opinion is such activities are not useful and generally a waste of time, it might give us a feel good factor that the total open PRs (for that matter JIRA tickets) are low but it may do more harm than good. In general, a PR might take up to 6 months to merge depending on how engaging the author(s), reviewers and RMs were, so I would not close any PRs at least a year old, for example yesterday I reviewed/tested/merged few PRs originally submitted in 2015/2016 but reworked/rebased in recent weeks/months. However, it might make sense to close duplicate PRs and in other circumstances but avoid a general rule.

Such an exercise may not be very useful, instead I would advise that we make an effort to engage with reviewers and author(s) to get them fixed/merged in our free time.

- Rohit

________________________________

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: [DISCUSS] Closing old Pull Requests on Github

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
> Op 27 juli 2017 om 22:15 schreef Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>:
>

> That's a good idea to use labels to tag PRs. Does it make sense to add an explicit label such as 'closeable' or something more appropriate on PRs that are not getting any traction either from reviewers or from the author themselves?

Yes, that seems like a good idea. I've created the label 'closable' and already labeled a few which were really not seeing attention.

Added this message:

"This Pull Requests just got the label 'closable' for not seeing any activity for a long period.

The CloudStack project is in a transition from the Apache Foundation's Git infrastructure to Github. This has created a very large backlog of PRs. A lot of them don't merge anymore and didn't get attention.

To filter these PRs we are adding the tag closable to them to make a distinction between PRs which need our attention and which are a candidate to be closed.

It's not our intention to say that we don't value the PR, but it's a way to get a overview of which PRs need our resources and attention.

If you think closing this PR is a mistake, please add a comment and let us know! If you do that, could you please make sure that the PR merges against the branch it was submitted against?

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Syed Ahmed <sa...@cloudops.com>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Marc-Aurèle Brothier <ma...@exoscale.ch>.