Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Barry van Someren <go...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/20 10:28:04 UTC

Questions about helping out

Hi all,

I have been taking a big interest in Geronimo lately and want to put
some of my current hobby projects on hold to help out with the
development of Geronimo.
Part to make it better and in part because I want to learn more about
it (and you learn more when you are knee deep into the project)
As such I'll be running through the samples and wiki and want to
volunteer to help out a little wherever I can.

As for contributing code changes, what is the norm?
Make a patch and assign the copyright to Apache?

Thank you for your time,

Barry van Someren

Re: Questions about helping out

Posted by Barry van Someren <go...@gmail.com>.
Will do, thank you for the help :-)

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Barry van Someren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Truth to be told I usually do get into a new project by writing JUnit
> code, so I supose this will be a great start as it will also help me
> get into GBeans (GBeans look like very nice and testable units to me)
> Do you have any pointers where I might find a good Unit test (as a
> learning example)  in the subversion? (if not I'll hunt one down
> tonight)

There are plenty of them, and it's hard to say which one is better than
the other. Start with tests in modules/system or modules/kernel.

> Barry

Jacek

Re: Questions about helping out

Posted by Barry van Someren <go...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Truth to be told I usually do get into a new project by writing JUnit
code, so I supose this will be a great start as it will also help me
get into GBeans (GBeans look like very nice and testable units to me)
Do you have any pointers where I might find a good Unit test (as a
learning example)  in the subversion? (if not I'll hunt one down
tonight)

Kind regards,

Barry

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Barry van Someren wrote:
> Sounds great.
> I'll more than likely tinker a bit with the builds locally (still
> getting used to the new paradigm) and I'll more than likely try to
> look at some of the smaller bugs.

You could start with junit test cases, too. It would let you know the
internals while hunting down bugs. JCoverage reports will be of help to
you. Just run maven jcoverage in a module of your interest and see
what's missing.

> Wish me luck.

Have luck!

Jacek

Re: Questions about helping out

Posted by Barry van Someren <go...@gmail.com>.
Sounds great.
I'll more than likely tinker a bit with the builds locally (still
getting used to the new paradigm) and I'll more than likely try to
look at some of the smaller bugs.
I'm generally good at finding bugs (once the steps to reproduce are
proper of course)
So I hope I don't step on any toes when I update some JIRA's asking
for steps to reproduce ;-)

Eventually I hope to tackle bigger problems/features (I have my eye on
the console)

Wish me luck.

Re: Questions about helping out

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Barry van Someren wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been taking a big interest in Geronimo lately and want to put
> some of my current hobby projects on hold to help out with the
> development of Geronimo.

Excellent!

> As for contributing code changes, what is the norm?

Typically, one takes a look at JIRA and see what's reported and not yet
assigned or ask if an assigned task is really being done. Once the issue
is picked up, one sends an email to the dev mailing list and announce
that it's worked out. During development, one can join IRC and ask
questions there, and send wrapups to the dev mailing list to keep people
updated (chances are someone else would be willing to help, too). Once
the issue/task is done, a patch is attached to the issue/task. One of
the Geronimo committers will then commit it to the repo. Upon successful
commit, celebration takes place, probably with granting the commit
access to the repo.

> Make a patch and assign the copyright to Apache?

Yes.

> Barry van Someren

Jacek