Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Gena B." <ge...@activeunit.com> on 2002/08/06 19:34:02 UTC

environment variables in web.xml

I'm currently working on a project which I often need to install on different servers,
the project is very dependant from where it gets installed.

I found it extremely unhealthy, that I have to provide 3 different build.xml files for each
server to be installed on.

I think it might be very usefull if I could refer to environment variables in a web.xml file
in "${varname}" fashion.
in this way, local settings might be provided by a meta script for each platform,
which would set the needed variables and lounch ant.

in my opinion, web.xml file should be used like "makefile.in"  in the sense
that you almost never have to modify a makefile in a good structured package.