Posted to user@beehive.apache.org by John Murray <jo...@everettconsulting.com> on 2005/07/26 22:31:47 UTC

Converting a BEA Workshop app into Beehive

Would anyone have any suggestions on a best approach to convert a BEA
Workshop application into Beehive?

The app in question contains a Web Project, Web Services project and some
Custom Controls projects.

John Murray
Everett Consulting

RE: Converting a BEA Workshop app into Beehive

Posted by Jarrod Knox <Ja...@javajman.com>.
I have done this.

1) To replace the event handling I merged the actions in the controllers. I
personally didn't use the shared page flows those may have helped as well.

2) Use AXIS then you won't be tied into the web services for beehive and
have to ever replace it again.

3) Keep the netui tags. There not so hard to convert once you learn the
nuances between weblogic and beehive. The farther from weblogic the better,
they really need to clean up a few things.

    EX: where to put the $ and where not to.

4) Build a factory for your web services so you are decoupled from them.

5) Build basic, plain old, java beans(NOT enterprise beans) and copy the web
service data into the java beans so your code is not tied directly to any
web services. Hide this data copying behind the factory.

6) Use pollinate via Eclipse to aid if possible. Pollinate was not updated
to the new beehive last I looked but it will help a lot.

7) have a lot of patience.