Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/11 13:45:12 UTC

Java Broker - adding support for multi-node HA clusters

We wish to let you know we are currently extending the high
availability features provided by the Java Broker.

Qpid Release 0.18 added simplistic support for Java Broker clusters
formed of two nodes together with a basic JMX management layer
allowing the cluster to be controlled.

This piece of work (QPID-5409) will add support for clusters formed of
more than two nodes.  It will also deliver a richer management
interface allowing the cluster to be completely monitored and
controlled via the Web Management interface (or the REST API).

The clustering solution offered by the Java Broker will remain
dependent on the offerings of the Berkley BDB JE edition - an optional
dependency - owing to license restrictions.

If there are questions or suggestions, we'd be happy to hear them.

Re: Java Broker - adding support for multi-node HA clusters

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 12/11/2013 07:45 AM, Keith W wrote:
> We wish to let you know we are currently extending the high
> availability features provided by the Java Broker.
>
> Qpid Release 0.18 added simplistic support for Java Broker clusters
> formed of two nodes together with a basic JMX management layer
> allowing the cluster to be controlled.
>
> This piece of work (QPID-5409) will add support for clusters formed of
> more than two nodes.  It will also deliver a richer management
> interface allowing the cluster to be completely monitored and
> controlled via the Web Management interface (or the REST API).
>
> The clustering solution offered by the Java Broker will remain
> dependent on the offerings of the Berkley BDB JE edition - an optional
> dependency - owing to license restrictions.
>
> If there are questions or suggestions, we'd be happy to hear them.

If you are interested in lessons learned from clustering on the C++ broker I'd
be happy to discuss it. I've done this twice now so I know a lot of ways to get
it wrong ;)

The current C++ cluster is described here:
http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-0.24/cpp-broker/book/chapter-ha.html

There's an old design doc with some discussion of internals, not sure how
accurate it is now:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/qpid/trunk/qpid/cpp/design_docs/new-ha-design.txt?revision=1392489&view=markup

Shout if you want to know more.

Cheers,
Alan.

Re: Java Broker - adding support for multi-node HA clusters

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.