Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2015/01/30 13:27:36 UTC

[VOTE] Release Compress 1.10 based on RC2

OK, next attempt.

Compress 1.10 RC2 is available for review here:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/compress/
    (svn revision 7884)

Maven artifacts are here:
   https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1081/org/apache/commons/commons-compress/1.10/

Details of changes since 1.9 are in the release notes:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/compress/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/compress-1.10-RC2/changes-report.html

The tag is here:
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/compress/tags/COMPRESS-1.10-RC2/
    (svn revision 1655959)

Site:
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/compress-1.10-RC2/
    (this is close but not identical to the site I'm going to deploy
    once the vote has passed.  I'll adjust the release notes and publish
    the Javadocs of 1.10.)

Clirr Report (compared to 1.9):
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/compress-1.10-RC2/clirr-report.html

RAT Report:
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/compress-1.10-RC2/rat-report.html

KEYS:
  https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

Please review the release candidate and vote.
  This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after
  1230 GMT 02-February 2015

[ ] +1 Release these artifacts
[ ] +0 OK, but...
[ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
[ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.10 based on RC2

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 31 January 2015 at 11:41, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2015-01-31, sebb wrote:

>>> Even if the class was marked internal ZCompressorInputStream which
>>> inherits said fields was not.  Subclasses of ZCompressorInputStream
>>> would be broken if we changed the fields now, I'm afraid it is too late
>>> already.
>
>> The question is - would external subclasses need to access all these
>> fields?  If this is considered very unlikely, it might be worth
>> privatising them now.
>
> at the price of a -1 by somebody else for breaking backwards
> compatibility :-)

Well of course it would need to be agreed in advance.

Although BC compatibiity is vitally important, if a breaking change
only affects internal code I would hope devs would agree that it is OK
to break it in such cases.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 31 January 2015 at 00:10, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 January 2015 at 15:41, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've just had a look at the new class ZCompressorInputStream.
>
> Sorry, I meant LZWInputStream

Which I just realised is mainly a copy of the internal version. Pity
the SVN history does not show this.

Given that the protected fields were in a class marked as internal, it
seems arguable that users should not have referred to any of the items
in it.
Therefore we could potentially make all the mutable protected fields
private (and add protected getters).

If we don't do that now, it won't be possible to do it later without
breaking the non-internal API.

If it is considered unsafe to make the fields private, at the very
least I think we should deprecate them and add getters instead.

So I will vote -1 for this RC.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br>.
+1 not binding.

Build works fine with:

Maven home: /opt/apache-maven-3.2.3
Java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre
OS name: "linux", version: "3.13.0-44-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

Site looks good too (BTW, really liked the "what's new in $version?" section).

All tests pass, no new PMD, CPD or FindBugs errors.

Thanks,
Bruno

[CANCEL] Release Compress 1.10 based on RC2

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Sorry for those who already reviewed the release candidate, I'm going to
cut a new RC once we've figured out what to do about LZWInputStream.

Stefan