Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Thile <gi...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/28 19:28:34 UTC

A "file exists" error even when file does not exist.

Hello folks,

I'm trying to add a file of a certain name to a folder in one of our
repositories. However, when I do I get a "Commit failed (details
follow): File '...' already exists". I've searched on the problem, but
previous reports were answered with "well, do an update first!" In
this case, at least, that's not the problem: I'm updating immediately
before the attempt, and no file of the same name exists.

Now, a file of the same name existed in a past revision and was later
deleted. I assume that's not the problem, however, because it would be
pretty silly if any time a file was checked in its name was reserved
forever, even if deleted.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John Thile

Re: A "file exists" error even when file does not exist.

Posted by John Thile <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks,

For list records and the help of future Internet searchers, I'll go
ahead and post what the problem on this was.

> I'm trying to add a file of a certain name to a folder in one of our
> repositories. However, when I do I get a "Commit failed (details
> follow): File '...' already exists". I've searched on the problem, but
> previous reports were answered with "well, do an update first!" In
> this case, at least, that's not the problem: I'm updating immediately
> before the attempt, and no file of the same name exists.
>
> Now, a file of the same name existed in a past revision and was later
> deleted. I assume that's not the problem, however, because it would be
> pretty silly if any time a file was checked in its name was reserved
> forever, even if deleted.

The file was a binary file with svn:needs-lock set, so I decided to,
on a whim, check if there was still a lock on the file even though it
had been deleted many revisions ago. Sure enough, "svnadmin lslocks"
showed that the file was still locked. I removed the lock with
"svnadmin rmlocks" and the problem disappeared.

A small feature request to avoid this in the future might be to make
releasing a lock automatic on a deleted file. I can't imagine an
instance in which you'd want to keep a lock on a deleted file, so it
should be okay.

Anyway, one for the record.

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <An...@BellSouth.com>.

Run 'svn status' and 'svn status -u' on the file.  Run 'svn help status'
to determine what the various symbols mean.

That should help with the troubleshooting.

*****

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA623