Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Nicholas Hogg <Ni...@kesoftware.com> on 2007/08/06 09:05:37 UTC

dependency on old log4j from an included jar

Hi,

This is my first post to this list - I have the following problem:

For a project I am working on I am required to use a 3rd party jar.
This jar uses log4j-1.1.3, where as my project uses log4j-1.2.13.  As
I'm sure you are aware there are classes (Category) in 1.1.3 that are
not backwards compatible in later releases, hence I get
NoClassDefinition exceptions depending on what version of log4j gets
loaded first.

I can rule out the possibility of the 3rd party updating their code to
use a later version of log4j.  I also have no choice but to use their
jar, as it provides the API into the 3rd party's software.

Is there any way I can continue to use a later log4j in my code while
accessing the 3rd parties libraries?  I'm not willing to "downgrade" my
log4j to their version.  If there is no solution here I will probably
just replace log4j in my code with the standard java logging but that
will be really annoying!

Many thanks,
Nick

--
Nicholas Hogg
KE Software (Australia)

Re: dependency on old log4j from an included jar

Posted by James Stauffer <st...@gmail.com>.
Using separate classloaders might work.

James Stauffer        http://www.geocities.com/stauffer_james/