Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris Jölly <ch...@unycom.com> on 2009/12/15 11:43:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Calculating settings for mpm-worker/mod_proxy_ajp/Tomcat

Hello,

can anybody tell me how to adjust the different min/max settings for the

MPM worker, mod_proxy_ajp and Tomcat connector so that the configuration

is aligned and there is no miss configuration on either side?

On Tomcat's side i use the default value for the AJP connector of maxThread=200,

on mod_proxy_ajp the MPM workers  ThreadsPerChild of 25. I think that

ThreadsPerchild can increase to ThreadLimit of 64 if the load increases, right?

If I understand correct then the ServerLimit of the MPM worker is set to default 16.

Is it correct if I assume that under full load Apache might create:

ThreadLimit * ServerLimit = 64 * 16 = 600 connections

via mod_proxy_ajp to Tomcat? Is this correct?

And how does the MaxClients and MaxThreads of the Tomcat AJP connector fit in that

scenario? (MaxChilds of MPM worker is set to 150)

Thanks,

Chris

RE: [users@httpd] Calculating settings for mpm-worker/mod_proxy_ajp/Tomcat

Posted by Chris Jölly <ch...@unycom.com>.

this means that i can change ThreadLimit only on a "full" restart,
and ThreadsPerChild during a graceful restart?

> > ThreadLimit * ServerLimit = 64 * 16 = 600 connections
>
> No, just MaxClients connections.  ThreadLimit and ServerLimit are
> pretty unimportant on their own [just an upper bound on other
> explicitly configured things].

so, then i don't understand the following post :)
http://marc.info/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=112552197217868&w=2

So if I set MaxClients of MPM worker and the maxThreads attribute on the
Tomcat AJP connector to 200 then, regardless how the other values are
set, I can guarantee that there will always be enough connections to
Tomcat so that all incoming requests up to 200 can be served?
I think that there will be more requests per client connection if http
pipelining is active. Or is this assumption not correct? How does this
affect the number of connections through mod_proxy_ajp?

thx, Chris

Re: [users@httpd] Calculating settings for mpm-worker/mod_proxy_ajp/Tomcat

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

--