Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Yin T <bu...@hotmail.com> on 2008/03/12 22:32:35 UTC

database upgrade question

Your advise would be greatly appreciated for the following questions.

o. If someone makes a change to the existing database schema,  Is that
person responsible for providing some sort of data upgrade process as well.
This would be the case, if some admin is installing the latest version of
ofbiz(which comes with a schema change) on top of their currently running
ofbiz installation.

o. What is the general procedure to letting the community know that when
upgrading to a newer version of ofbiz source, one needs to perform some
database data upgrade as well.

o. Is there a mechanism used in ofbiz project to label the existing database
or database schema with a particular version number. So that a particular
running version of ofbiz can detect and perhaps adapt to any schema changes.

RE: database upgrade question

Posted by Christopher L <cl...@hotmail.com>.
This is an issue that has been in the back of my mind, as the current "upgrade process" is basically manual reconciliation.  Unfortunately, it's far down on my list right now.

YT, if this is a particular issue for you, you might consider some extension to the entity classes to reconcile the existing db table structure against the entity xml files and perform table updates as needed.  The work might be a little more in the short term, but would easily pay back after a few upgrades.

My 2c.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.