Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by shane mullins <ts...@wise.k12.va.us> on 2004/12/10 15:07:44 UTC

Spam getting through

When we first built our spam filters, over a year ago, it worked great
out of the box.  It was incredible.  But, over time some spam started to
get through.  We were running SA 2.64.  So I upgraded to SA 3.01.  And
about the same amount of spam was still getting through.  Could someone
please point me to some instructions on how to tighten down SA?  Here is
a copy of our local.cf.  We are running OpenBSD 3.4, Perl 5.80, SA 3.01,
Amavisd, DCC and Razor.

rewrite_subject 1
required_hits 5.0
report_safe 0
use_terse_report 0

use_bayes 1
bayes_path /var/amavisd/.spamassassin/bayes

skip_rbl_checks 0
use_razor2 1
use_dcc 1
use_pyzor 0
dcc_add_header 1
dns_available yes
header LOCAL_RCVD Received =~ /.*\(\S+\.va\.us\s+\[.*\])/
describe LOCAL_RCVD Received from local machine
score LOCAL_RCVD -50

# Optional Score Increases
score DCC_CHECK 5.000
score RAZOR2_CHECK 2.500
score BAYES_99 4.300
score BAYES_90 3.500
score BAYES_80 3.000

Re: Spam getting through

Posted by shane mullins <ts...@wise.k12.va.us>.
Found part of the problem.  I did not import my db after upgrading, do
my bayes db were not working.  Fixed that with:
sa-learn --import
sa-learn --sync

Hope this save someone else some time.

Shane

Re: Spam getting through

Posted by Martin Hepworth <ma...@solid-state-logic.com>.
Shane

apply extra rules mentioned in www.rulesemporium.com/rules.htm

(Don't use the bigevil on though, turn on the URIRBL handling in SA3.01)

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

shane mullins wrote:
> When we first built our spam filters, over a year ago, it worked great
> out of the box.  It was incredible.  But, over time some spam started to
> get through.  We were running SA 2.64.  So I upgraded to SA 3.01.  And
> about the same amount of spam was still getting through.  Could someone
> please point me to some instructions on how to tighten down SA?  Here is
> a copy of our local.cf.  We are running OpenBSD 3.4, Perl 5.80, SA 3.01,
> Amavisd, DCC and Razor.
>

> rewrite_subject 1
> required_hits 5.0
> report_safe 0
> use_terse_report 0
>
> use_bayes 1
> bayes_path /var/amavisd/.spamassassin/bayes
>
> skip_rbl_checks 0
> use_razor2 1
> use_dcc 1
> use_pyzor 0
> dcc_add_header 1
> dns_available yes
> header LOCAL_RCVD Received =~ /.*\(\S+\.va\.us\s+\[.*\])/
> describe LOCAL_RCVD Received from local machine
> score LOCAL_RCVD -50
>
> # Optional Score Increases
> score DCC_CHECK 5.000
> score RAZOR2_CHECK 2.500