Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2011/11/04 01:06:05 UTC

Establishing New Committers

Here's a Form letter that I have been evolving.  It has been used in recent
invitations from the Apache OpenOffice.org Podling where an iCLA is already
on file.

  You are welcome to try this.  There are additional places to be customized
for use by a different podling.  I have added brackets where that would
have to happen.

Also, you may have already done some or all of this with regard to your two
new invitees.  I would customize to get the essential information so that
an ACCOUNT REQUEST can be made.  There's a format for that too.  Let me know.

 - Dennis

USE FOR FIRST-TIME COMMITTER THAT HAS AN iCLA ON FILE
The only lines that need to be customized are the subject and the salutation
at the beginning.  Everything else can be copied "as is."
Remember to send as plaintext.

From: [PPMC Member]
To: [invitee e-mail]
Cc: ooo-private@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [invitee name]: Apache OOo Committer and PPMC Invitation

Hello [invitee name],

The [Apache OpenOffice Podling Project Management Committee] (PPMC) hereby
offers you committer rights to the project as well as membership in the PPMC.

Being a committer enables you to more easily make changes without needing to
go through the patch submission process.  Being a PPMC member enables you to
guide the direction of the project.

Being a committer does not require you to participate any more than you
already do.  It does tend to make one even more committed.  You will probably
find that you spend more time here.

Of course, you can decline and instead remain as a contributor, participating
as you do now.

 A. This personal invitation is a chance for you to accept or decline in
private.  Either way, please let us know in reply to the
[ooo-private@incubator.apache.org] address only.

 B. If you are accepting, your iCLA is already registered with the ASF so we
can establish your Apache User Name/ID immediately:

 1. Even though you may have included this in your iCLA, please include in
your reply a list of preferred Apache User Name/IDs.  The <ID> will be a Unix
system User ID and should be a simple alphanumeric string.  Please verify that
the <ID>s you list have not already been taken:
<http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html>.

 2. Also specify the e-mail address that you want your <ID> @ apache.org
e-mail address to forward to.

 3. When you reply, please send from the e-mail that you supplied on your
iCLA, if possible.

 4. When that information is received, you will receive further information on
next steps.

We value your contributions and recognize that you are committed to the Apache
project.

Regards,

 - [The Apache OpenOffice.org PPMC]