Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/09/01 19:03:44 UTC

[phoenix] Semi-clean Shutdown

Hi,

I just had one of my apps crash because of an un-clean shutdown. So I decided
to actually implement that in phoenix. The tomcat services code is not yet
working 100% for me so I decided to just use jdk1.3's Shutdown hooks (ie
threads that get called when JVM is shutting down). Thus Phoenix should
shutdown gracefully even if you control-c or kill -9 the process.

It will be implemented "properly" in the future but this works good enough
for me .. interested to hear of any hassles using the current mechanism
though.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: [phoenix] Semi-clean Shutdown

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.

>>I can help with teh coding Peter, but if you think it's still
>>fatal, then say no more :-(
>>

>Sounds like you are volunterring to look at Leos JMX stuff ? ;)

Hmmm, I'll take a look.  My brain powercycles when I look at anthing too
advanced though.  The boot time is unfortunately upto 24 hours ;-)

>If so then finishing that off would solve most of our current issues.
>Implement JMX and it becomes a snap to implement ShutdownService, Inter-App
>communications, Modifying configuration/logging/threading whilst running,
>managing deploying etc.

Does sound good.

- PH

Re: [phoenix] Semi-clean Shutdown

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 19:52, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Re reraising another old subject for phoenix .. Some blocks want to
> shutdown the machine.  Currently System.exit() is not blocked by
> permissions, it it can happen from anywhere ( a bad thing ).  Could we
> have a ShutdownService or a some interface/callback to facilitate the
> above?

we could ;)

> I can help with teh coding Peter, but if you think it's still
> fatal, then say no more :-(

Sounds like you are volunterring to look at Leos JMX stuff ? ;)

If so then finishing that off would solve most of our current issues.
Implement JMX and it becomes a snap to implement ShutdownService, Inter-App
communications, Modifying configuration/logging/threading whilst running,
managing deploying etc.

Thats a big feature needed and would solve a fair chunk of the problems.

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.

>I just had one of my apps crash because of an un-clean shutdown. So I decided
>to actually implement that in phoenix. The tomcat services code is not yet
>working 100% for me so I decided to just use jdk1.3's Shutdown hooks (ie
>threads that get called when JVM is shutting down). Thus Phoenix should
>shutdown gracefully even if you control-c or kill -9 the process.
>
>It will be implemented "properly" in the future but this works good enough
>for me .. interested to hear of any hassles using the current mechanism
>though.

That's really cool.

Re reraising another old subject for phoenix .. Some blocks want to
shutdown the machine.  Currently System.exit() is not blocked by
permissions, it it can happen from anywhere ( a bad thing ).  Could we
have a ShutdownService or a some interface/callback to facilitate the
above?   I can help with teh coding Peter, but if you think it's still
fatal, then say no more :-(

- Paul