Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com> on 2016/10/28 15:38:11 UTC

Scanner timeouts

I’m getting data from HBase using a large Spark cluster with parallelism of near 400. The query fails quire often with the message below. Sometimes a retry will work and sometimes the ultimate failure results (below).

If I reduce parallelism in Spark it slows other parts of the algorithm unacceptably. I have also experimented with very large RPC/Scanner timeouts of many minutes—to no avail.

Any clues about what to look for or what may be setup wrong in my tables?

Job aborted due to stage failure: Task 44 in stage 147.0 failed 4 times, most recent failure: Lost task 44.3 in stage 147.0 (TID 24833, ip-172-16-3-9.eu-central-1.compute.internal): org.apache.hadoop.hbase.DoNotRetryIOException: Failed after retry of OutOfOrderScannerNextException: was there a rpc timeout?+details
Job aborted due to stage failure: Task 44 in stage 147.0 failed 4 times, most recent failure: Lost task 44.3 in stage 147.0 (TID 24833, ip-172-16-3-9.eu-central-1.compute.internal): org.apache.hadoop.hbase.DoNotRetryIOException: Failed after retry of OutOfOrderScannerNextException: was there a rpc timeout? at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ClientScanner.next(ClientScanner.java:403) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.TableRecordReaderImpl.nextKeyValue(TableRecordReaderImpl.java:232) at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.TableRecordReader.nextKeyValue(TableRecordReader.java:138) at

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Which release of hbase are you using ?

Since the query to hbase comes from Spark, I assume there is no hbase
Filter involved.
So HBASE-13704 wouldn't be applicable in your case.

Can you pastebin region server log(s) around the OutOfOrderScannerNextException
?

Thanks

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
thanks Ted I am aware of that issue of Spark 2.0.1  not handling
connections to Phoenix. For now I use Spark 2.0.1 on Hbase directly or
Spark 2.0.1 on Hbase through Hive external tables.

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

such loss, damage or destruction.

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
ok what it says that it was discussed before and there is Jira on hbase
side.

it is not a showstopper anyway

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Mich:

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Gentle reminder :)

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
Ok, will do.

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
Can you start a separate thread?

On Oct 28, 2016, at 10:29 AM, Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

sorry do you mean in my error case the issue was locating regions during
scan.

in that case I do not know why it works through spark shell but not
Zeppelin?

Thanks

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Mich:

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
This is an example I got

[...]
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ScannerCallableWithReplicas.call(ScannerCallableWithReplicas.java:60)
  at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.RpcRetryingCaller.callWithoutRetries(RpcRetryingCaller.java:210)

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
I will check that, but if that is a server startup thing I was not aware I had to send it to the executors. So it’s like a connection timeout from executor code?

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Scanner timeouts

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.