Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org> on 2001/10/01 16:56:33 UTC

BCEL @ apache

Hi,

Many months ago I asked Markus Dahm whether or not he would be interested in
BCEL (Byte Code Engineering tool) being a Jakarta project as I was using and
thought it a very cool package, and I believe Xalan uses it for their
compiler, but nothing resulted from the initial conversation.

Markus has approached me now stating that he would be interested in BCEL
becoming a Jakarta project so I thought I would see what others thought.
BCEL has many applications including compilers, analysis tools and who knows
what else.

Thoughts?

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

Re: BCEL @ apache

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org> writes:

> I don't think there is a rush, but I think BCEL is an amazingly powerful
> tool with many possibilities. I don't think it would add a lot of overhead
> as it is a very specialized tool and the mailing traffic is pretty minimal.

I agree, and would also like to see it on Jakarta.  I do not have the
cycles to help w/ the move, however.

Re: BCEL @ apache

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 10/7/01 8:47 PM, "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> wrote:

>> From: Jason van Zyl [mailto:jvanzyl@apache.org]
>>
>> I would volunteer to help the move if it was decided to move it
>> to jakarta.
>>

> I can help out here too, if it goes ahead.

Are you back?  I still can't solve that ant classloader problem.

System and Software Consulting

Re: BCEL @ apache

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 10/7/01 8:47 PM, "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> wrote:

>> From: Jason van Zyl [mailto:jvanzyl@apache.org]
>>
>> I would volunteer to help the move if it was decided to move it
>> to jakarta.
>>

> I can help out here too, if it goes ahead.
>
> Conor

A thousand pardons for posting the last one to general@.  It's 5:50 am,
coffee just finished brewing, and I forgot this was a general@ thread with
replied to list.

Sorry again, all.

geir

System and Software Consulting

RE: BCEL @ apache

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.

Re: BCEL @ apache

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
On 10/1/01 11:31 AM, "Jon Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:

> on 10/1/01 7:56 AM, "Jason van Zyl" <jv...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Many months ago I asked Markus Dahm whether or not he would be interested in
>> BCEL (Byte Code Engineering tool) being a Jakarta project as I was using and
>> thought it a very cool package, and I believe Xalan uses it for their
>> compiler, but nothing resulted from the initial conversation.
>>
>> Markus has approached me now stating that he would be interested in BCEL
>> becoming a Jakarta project so I thought I would see what others thought.
>> BCEL has many applications including compilers, analysis tools and who knows
>> what else.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> What is his developer/user community like?

I belong to the mailing list and there is never that much traffic but I
think that's due to the completeness of the tool. As it is based on the
language spec it is pretty much finished as a tool. Markus can correct me if
I'm wrong. Maybe there are changes in Merlin that will need to be
accomodated, I don't know.

I think it is primarily Markus who works on it which is why he wants to
consider giving it to Apache. He won't have time to maintain it.

Re: BCEL @ apache

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.