Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Rajesh Krishnamurthy <rk...@perforce.com> on 2022/02/11 22:16:55 UTC

Apache spark 3.0.3 [Spark lower version enhancements]

Hi there,

  We are just wondering if there are any agenda by the Spark community to actively engage development activities on the 3.0.x path. I know we have the latest version of Spark with 3.2.x, but we are just wondering if any development plans to have the vulnerabilities fixed on the 3.0.x path that were identified on the 3.0.3 version, so that we don’t need to migrate to next major version(3.1.x in this case), but at the same time all the vulnerabilities fixed within the minor version upgrade(eg:3.0.x)

Rajesh Krishnamurthy | Enterprise Architect
T: +1 510-833-7189 | M: +1 925-917-9208
http://www.perforce.com
Visit us on: Twitter<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https://twitter.com/perforce&data=04%7C01%7Crkrishnamurthy@perforce.com%7C67639f41e2f0452b409608d96814840a%7C95b666d19a7549ab95a38969fbcdc08c%7C0%7C0%7C637655259607389020%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0=%7C1000&sdata=66YlLKPkoZeh1CyMFzjEG8eFva8EmsPSvRqUFtEf960=&reserved=0> | LinkedIn<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https://www.linkedin.com/company/perforce?utm_leadsource=email-signature&utm_source=outlook-direct-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-common&utm_content=email-signature-link&data=04%7C01%7Crkrishnamurthy@perforce.com%7C785c930f82dc42cdee2b08d98e9b8d5d%7C95b666d19a7549ab95a38969fbcdc08c%7C0%7C0%7C637697621028603583%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0=%7C1000&sdata=03F8rlgn5xcYUU3pEkCe85X+Bs4q/WfHlXCne+MshaI=&reserved=0> | Facebook<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https://www.facebook.com/perforce/?utm_leadsource=email-signature&utm_source=outlook-direct-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-common&utm_content=email-signature-link&data=04%7C01%7Crkrishnamurthy@perforce.com%7C785c930f82dc42cdee2b08d98e9b8d5d%7C95b666d19a7549ab95a38969fbcdc08c%7C0%7C0%7C637697621028603583%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0=%7C1000&sdata=Jlq031LQ06isyWhiwRQSrTiJnjEZzUc38nULB2yIt5w=&reserved=0>

This e-mail may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and any attachments and notify us immediately.

Re: Apache spark 3.0.3 [Spark lower version enhancements]

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
These kinds of static analysis have limited value to send around. It's not
clear whether any of the CVEs actually affect Spark's usage of the library.
jackson -- generally, yes could theoretically affect Spark apps.
I can't really read this output, but seems like the affected versions are
generally 2.9.x and lower, while Spark 3.0.3 uses 2.10.0, so I'm sort of
unclear what this is based on?

In any event, the best advice is to update Spark! If you're concerned about
3.0.3, which is EOL about now anyway, you should be updating to 3.2.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
I think these are readily answerable if you look at the text of the CVEs
and Spark 3.0.3 release.

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-17531 concerns Jackson Databind
up to 2.9.10, but you can see that 3.0.3 uses 2.10.0
https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2020-9480 affects Spark 2.x, not 3.x
https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-0204 does not appear related to

Posted by Rajesh Krishnamurthy <rk...@perforce.com>.
Hi Sean,

See https://spark.apache.org/versioning-policy.html<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fspark.apache.org%2Fversioning-policy.html&data=04%7C01%7Crkrishnamurthy%40perforce.com%7C76e603a3a65f4995de7608d9f0044ec4%7C95b666d19a7549ab95a38969fbcdc08c%7C0%7C0%7C637804723570591827%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=hFpqIT9rnZhmvSIgWQkqx5SsppiZ61CYgJzfKyYzGy4%3D&reserved=0> - 3.0.x is EOL about now, which doesn't mean there can't be another release, but would not generally expect one.

http://www.perforce.com<http://www.perforce.com/>

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
See https://spark.apache.org/versioning-policy.html - 3.0.x is EOL about

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.