Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/16 08:07:38 UTC

EJB 3 Hello World tutorial using OpenEJB & Tomcat

Part 4 of the tutorial series I'm working on is done.

I just finished a demo based on the one Dain showed me over Thanksgiving
break, building a simple Hello World web app and hooking into a stateless
session bean over a local interface.  Credit for the whole presentation goes
to Dain.  Start to finish, from creating the project in IDEA 7 to running
the hello world session bean in Tomcat, takes 12 minutes.  I had some sound
synchronization problems with the video after about the fourth take, and
spent all day trying to resync it instead of starting over.  It worked
almost without a hitch and I'm satisfied with the results.

I also recompressed the screenshots I'd taken so the PDF version of the
whole tutorial series is a little more than half of its original size, even
after adding all of the content for part 4.  This is hopefully turning into
a useful user-created manual on getting started with OpenEJB.  The last
thing I intend to add to this document, in Part 5, is a straightforward
entity bean tutorial.

But it's finals week.  So that might have to wait until Friday.

Full PDF: https://wiki.umn.edu/genpdf/OpenEJB/Building_the_ATOM_stack#Part_4_HelloWorld_Tutorial_for_O

UMWiki  Topic:
https://wiki.umn.edu/view/OpenEJB/Building_the_ATOM_stack#Part_4_HelloWorld_Tutorial_for_O

Video Tutorial:
Flash 8: https://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/embed/7008
iPod: https://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/download.php?file=7009.m4v

Cheers,
--
Alex

Re: EJB 3 Hello World tutorial using OpenEJB & Tomcat

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mindspring.com>.
Alex,
I like the tutorials.  It contained a lot of good information.

Watch you tutorial start me thinking about doing my own, but not for
OpenEJB.  What tools did you use?

Posted by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com>.
iShowU, OS X, Desktop Manager for OS X & Photo Booth for parts 1-3 of the
tutorials.  I b0rked part 4 and needed to use iMovie, QuickTIme Pro and
SimpleMovieX to edit the sound problems.  All compression was done on the
University of Minnesota's video compression farm, which we call the "Media
Mill", but you could probably do compression in any number of programs.

Cheers,
--
Alex

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mindspring.com>.