Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Rendall Koski <re...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/02 17:38:08 UTC

Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

As a head's up, the page with the Hello World on the tutorial
https://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/hello-world.html contains the following
command to compile the Hello World application:

java -cp pivot-core-*[version]*.jar;pivot-wtk-*[version]*.jar;
pivot-wtk-terra-*[version]*.jar;pivot-tutorials-*[version]*.jar
org.apache.pivot.wtk.DesktopApplicationContext
org.apache.pivot.tutorials.HelloJava

However, the latest release of the .jars (apache-pivot-2.0.3.zip) does not
contain pivot-tutorials-*2.03*.jar (nor any version).

Re: Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rendall,
you have reason, pivot-tutorials-[version].jar is missing from all our
Binary Distributions, but because it's an "accessory" library.
To have it you must download Pivot Sources and build them, and the
page in our Tutorials is missing this small info ... I'll update it
soon.

Otherwise a simpler way is get sources (for example only the trunk)
from Subversion, build them with eclipse and run desired tutorials
classes.

Thanks for the check, tell us if something other need to be clarified
or if you need more info.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Ok, so your environment is like mine :-) ...

Remember to edit the definition of the JDK in eclipse to add other
jars (required to compile some classes), as explained here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PIVOT/Platform+Developer+Info

I think that for the future we could try to remove these, or better
constraint these additions to specific (optional) modules ...

Otherwise you could build Pivot sources (for example our source
distribution) from Ant and generate related jars, and then use al
libraries in other projects ("normal" eclipse projects, or maven for
example). In this case you need JUnit jar in CLASSPATH.

Tell me after these steps if you still have the problem.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

Posted by Rendall Koski <re...@gmail.com>.
OS: Windows 7
Eclipse: Kepler Service Release 1  (Build id: 20130919-0819)
JDK 7u45 running under JavaSE 1.7

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rendall,

Posted by Rendall Koski <re...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Sandro.  I want to be certain that it's not something basic I'm
missing.  I'm working through the examples & tutorials now and will
absolutely send you any conclusions I come to.

To replicate, if you're interested, I'm using Eclipse. Create a project
with the source code of "core", "tutorials", "wtk" and "wtk-terra" as
resources, and then simply run HelloWorld.java as a Java Application (Run
-> Run As -> Java Application).  The caveat is that I cannot guarantee at
this point that it isn't something basic that I missed, though!

Initial observations are that Pivot looks like a great framework.  It
reminds me a lot of Android's approach (among others) with the separation
of UI into an XML file.  It's interesting to me that Apache is getting into
user interface since I associate them/you with the web server, but I am
pleased.  Java needed this!

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rendall,

Posted by Rendall Koski <re...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Sandro and Roger.

I was able to get org.apache.pivot.tutorials.HelloJava and HelloBXML to
compile from source as long as all of the other resources are .jars.
 However, if all of the other resources are source packages, I get a
compile error. Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.Error:
Unresolved compilation problem:  at
org.apache.pivot.wtk.media.Image.load(Image.java:148)

I am investigating now.

Re: Missing pivot-tutorials-2.03.jar in latest release

Posted by Roger Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.
Hi Rendall,
   I will check into it. Thanks for the notice.

~Roger Whitcomb