Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tompa <to...@yahoo.com> on 2004/12/03 15:03:06 UTC

[users@httpd] My apache does not display swedish characters...

Hi,
I'm running Linux Fedora Core 3. Using Emacs or any other editor i
can create a file which contains swedish characters (åäö) in its body. Also,
cat that file displays the swedish characters correctly.

Now, if i create an index.html file which contains the swedish characters åäö
and let apache httpd serve that page when I browse my site from another
computer, my browser displays weird characters instead of the swedish
characters?!?!?

Btw. this is the case, no matter if i use Firefox on a linux computer or ms-ie
on xp! What is going on?

Thanks!
/Tompa

[users@httpd] Re: My apache does not display swedish characters...

Posted by Tompa <to...@yahoo.com>.
Sean T Allen <sean <at> usaherbals.com> writes:

> the default charset for notepad on xp is unicode.
> you should check what charset you are using with emacs...
>
> that should be where you problem is...

I added this to my .emacs-file:
(standard-display-european t)
(set-input-mode (car (current-input-mode))
                (nth 1 (current-input-mode))
                0)

and it seems to work!

Thanks Sean!
/Tompa

Re: [users@httpd] Re: My apache does not display swedish characters...

Posted by Sean T Allen <se...@usaherbals.com>.
the default charset for notepad on xp is unicode.
you should check what charset you are using with emacs...

that should be where you problem is...

it definately isnt an apache issue...

Posted by Tompa <to...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Sean T Allen <se...@usaherbals.com>.

Posted by Tompa <to...@yahoo.com>.
Ralf Glauberman <rglauberman <at> michaeli-gymnasium.de> writes:

> windows uses a different carset than linux here. i've even seen different
> results on a linux-shell and in a x-session. do you edit your files on a
> text-console or on a x-console.
> ralf

Wow - that is really weird to me! Do you know why this is the case?

I'm running Gnome, and start Emacs in a X-console from the Gnome Terminal.

Posted by Sean T Allen <se...@usaherbals.com>.
Is that the contents of the actual file?

Have you tried not setting a charset and setting it properly in the
browser and
seeing if it displays properly?

Posted by Tompa <to...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] My apache does not display swedish characters...