Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Eric Woods <wo...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/14 20:49:09 UTC

Adding Support to OpenSocial Templates in Shindig

Hi fellow Shindig developers,

I'd like to add support for additional services to the template mechanism in
Shindig.  Specifically, I'd like to add support for ActivityStreams.
However, the mechanism that supports Templates in Shindig uses the old style
of making OpenSocial requests - opensocial.DataRequest.  ActivityStreams use
the new request mechanism (osapi.Request and osapi.BatchRequest) and is
accessible via osapi.activitystreams.get(...).  Since these implementations
are very different, I'm not sure how to add Template support for
ActivityStreams to Shindig.

Classes that implement template support in Shindig:
features > src > main > javascript > features > opensocial-data > data.js //
Client-side class that registers and batches template requests using
opensocial.DataRequest
features > src > main > javascript > features > opensocial-jsonrpc >
jsonrpccontainer.js
gadgets > src > ... > gadgets > spec > PipelinedData.java // Server-side
code that interacts with the actual service to retrieve the data

So my questions are:

   1. What's the recommended approach for adding template support for
   ActivityStreams?
   2. Should the template back-end eventually be updated to support
   osapi-style requests?
   3. Is there a quick hack to support ActivityStreams templates in the
   meantime?

Thanks,
Eric W.

Re: Adding Support to OpenSocial Templates in Shindig

Posted by Eric Woods <wo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I've opened a JIRA ticket to upgrade templating support to use osapi since
opensocial.DataRequest is being deprecated.  Anyone interested in helping to
implement this?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHINDIG-1449

Eric W.