Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2019/12/15 21:10:35 UTC

File headers [was Re: ICLA needed?]

Hi,

> When Samsung got the NuttX files they put an Apache license header
> over the BSD header, now the original BSD Header will disappear from
> NuttX project files.

Correct we’ll replace, where needed, the original BSD header with an ASF one. Note that the ASF has a different header for it’s projects. [1]

> So, could we just remove the original BSD header
> from Samsung modified files and just keep their Apache license into
> those file?

I don’t recommend we do that as they may of made changes or the files may of changed since they copied them. They probably also used teh 3rd party header not the ASF one.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

Re: File headers [was Re: ICLA needed?]

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> The BSD license (except for the BSD 4-clause) is friendly towards the ALv2 one

Correct and even then I’ve deal with that in the past in Mynewt.

> I suppose that the worst case is that we keep that contributed code under the BSD license, and make necessary references, like in NOTICE?

They get added to LICENSE not NOTICE. [1]

Given the large number of file I was think of asking Infra for a VM and set up fossology on it [2] to help with this process.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
2. https://www.fossology.org

Re: File headers [was Re: ICLA needed?]

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.
The BSD license (except for the BSD 4-clause) is friendly towards the ALv2 one:

https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b <https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b>

I suppose that the worst case is that we keep that contributed code under the BSD license, and make necessary references, like in NOTICE?

-Flavio

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.