Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Esther-Sh <es...@symantec.com> on 2008/02/04 15:33:04 UTC

ActiveMQ persistent mechanism

I am trying to understand the ActiveMQ persistent mechanism.
I am using the example of consumer/producer from the site
(http://activemq.apache.org/version-5-examples.html).
I have configured this example to use persistent messages, and run with the
following parameters:

Persistence:
<property name="durable" value="true" />

I wanted to see the impact on the persistence storage, so I used big
messages
<property name="messageSize" value="10000000" />

I wanted those messages to expire after 10 seconds and be removed from the
storage.
<property name="timeToLive" value="10000" />

The default cleanupInterval supposed to be 30 sec.

I started the producer, and saw messages created and persisted in the
following directory:
\apache-activemq-5.0.0\data\localhost\journal\

I have waited for a long time, but it seems that no cleanup of the persisted
data took place.
There still were many big files containing the already expired messages that
should have been cleaned.

Why this directory wasn't cleaned?
Maybe I misunderstand how does this persistence cleanup mechanism should
works?

How can i configure the limit of the persistent storage so i had a control
over a number/total size of created files?

I would be very thankful if somebody could help.