Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/16 23:21:05 UTC

JAMES status?

i run james on linux. a status feature would be useful (as many other
linux services provide) to me. if this already exists, then please
jump in.

any ideas about the best way to implement this?

i was wondering about extending remotemanager so that it's more
scriptable. it'd be useful to be able to connect with user and
password and the command to be executed. perhaps then status could be
implemented as a command.

- robert

Re: JAMES status?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 11/17/06, Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > i run james on linux. a status feature would be useful (as many other
> > linux services provide) to me. if this already exists, then please
> > jump in.
>
> what stati would you expect to be returned?

dunno :-)

open to suggestions

> something like the following?
>
> STARTING
> RUNNING -or- RUNNING +pop3 +smtp -nntp -imap4
> STOPPING

sounds about right (RUNNING +pop3 +smtp -nntp -imap4 would be good)

> AFAIK, we are not tracking these states yet. and also cannot say if
> James is not running at all ;-)

probably able to use the container to provide this information (but
not sure how right now)

anyone with avalon-foo care to jump in (before i start digging)...?

> > any ideas about the best way to implement this?
> >
> > i was wondering about extending remotemanager so that it's more
> > scriptable. it'd be useful to be able to connect with user and
> > password and the command to be executed. perhaps then status could be
> > implemented as a command.
>
> yeah, probably the best way.

opinions on syntax anyone?

- robert

Re: AW: JAMES status?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Juergen Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Well we have a current problem at a customers site, where James 2.3 rc3 is
> just stopping to deliver mail. No Logging, what so ever. So far, we have no
> clue what the problem is. After we restart James everything is working fine.
> We have the exact same Directory per rsync on another server, and it runs
> there smoothly.

If you have such a problem please take at least a dump of the stack
before restarting James.

"kill -3 <jamespid>" will do the work. The whole thread stack will be
wrote to the phoenix.console file.

Please paste the result to this list so we can try to understand what's
happening.

Stefano

Re: AW: AW: JAMES status?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Jürgen Hoffmann wrote:
> The problem is that James still accepts E-Mails coming in, he just does not
> deliver them afterwards. Maybe this is within James, or within one of our
> mailets. We are investigating this now under our test environment.

Maybe the problem is the "outgoing" spool that is locked.

This was the issue we fixed in RC3 that happened when there was only
error messages in the spool or more than 1000 error messages in the spool.

Are you sure the James you use is RC3 and not an RC3-candidate (a
snapshot of something between RC2 and RC3)? (We packaged RC3 on Sep 12)

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-603?page=all

Btw the "kill -3" dump will give us much more details on this.

Stefano

Ougoing spool stuck in James 2.3.0RC4 (Was: JAMES status?)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
I really hoped it was older :-/
And this reply is to change the subject, because we were off topic.

Stefano

Re: Ougoing spool stuck in James 2.3.0RC4 (Was: JAMES status?)

Posted by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de>.
Hi Stefano,

im 100 % sure it wasn't older because i upgrade to rc4 because of this bug.

bye
Norman

Re: AW: AW: JAMES status?

Posted by Norman Maurer <nm...@byteaction.de>.
Hi Stefano,

AW: AW: JAMES status?

Posted by Jürgen Hoffmann <jh...@byteaction.de>.
Hi Noel,

mail:~# cat /etc/debian_version
3.1

manil:~# java -version
java version "1.5.0_05"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_05-b05, mixed mode)

We have now added a startup parameter to work arounf the InetAddress Issues
although we did not find the same errors, that you received, when you
investigated the problem.

The problem is that James still accepts E-Mails coming in, he just does not
deliver them afterwards. Maybe this is within James, or within one of our
mailets. We are investigating this now under our test environment.

Kind regards

Juergen
Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

AW: AW: JAMES status?

Posted by Jürgen Hoffmann <jh...@byteaction.de>.
Hi Stefano,

thx fort he tip, we will do so as soon as this happens again, This just
happens once in a month though. Norman will be taking care of it.

Kind regards

Juergen Hoffmann

> Well we have a current problem at a customers site, where James 2.3 rc3 is
> just stopping to deliver mail. No Logging, what so ever. So far, we have no
> clue what the problem is. After we restart James everything is working fine.
> We have the exact same Directory per rsync on another server, and it runs
> there smoothly.

If you have such a problem please take at least a dump of the stack
before restarting James.

"kill -3 <jamespid>" will do the work. The whole thread stack will be
wrote to the phoenix.console file.

Please paste the result to this list so we can try to understand what's
happening.

Stefano

!EXCUBATOR:1,455de83353073370378302!

AW: JAMES status?

Posted by Juergen Hoffmann <ho...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Well we have a current problem at a customers site, where James 2.3 rc3 is
just stopping to deliver mail. No Logging, what so ever. So far, we have no
clue what the problem is. After we restart James everything is working fine.
We have the exact same Directory per rsync on another server, and it runs
there smoothly.

So what would be really really coll, at least for us ;) Would be to be able to
monitor James with Nagios.

What I would like to be able is to check if

- James SMTP Port is active and accepting connections
- James POP3 Port is active and accepting connections
- James IMAP Port is active and accepting connections
- The timestamp of last queue run

IIRC there will be a possibility to monitor the performance of James in the
future through JMX. Maybe this could be made available by JMX also, then one
could write a nagios plugin which does JMX lookups. (Not too hard)

Kind regards

Juergen Hoffmann

> > i run james on linux. a status feature would be useful (as many other
> > linux services provide) to me. if this already exists, then please
> > jump in.
>
> what stati would you expect to be returned?

dunno :-)

open to suggestions

> something like the following?
>
> STARTING
> RUNNING -or- RUNNING +pop3 +smtp -nntp -imap4
> STOPPING

sounds about right (RUNNING +pop3 +smtp -nntp -imap4 would be good)

> AFAIK, we are not tracking these states yet. and also cannot say if
> James is not running at all ;-)

probably able to use the container to provide this information (but
not sure how right now)

anyone with avalon-foo care to jump in (before i start digging)...?

> > any ideas about the best way to implement this?
> >
> > i was wondering about extending remotemanager so that it's more
> > scriptable. it'd be useful to be able to connect with user and
> > password and the command to be executed. perhaps then status could be
> > implemented as a command.
>
> yeah, probably the best way.

opinions on syntax anyone?

- robert

!EXCUBATOR:1,455dbb8353073197299516!

Re: JAMES status?

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> i run james on linux. a status feature would be useful (as many other
> linux services provide) to me. if this already exists, then please
> jump in.

what stati would you expect to be returned?

something like the following?

STARTING
RUNNING -or- RUNNING +pop3 +smtp -nntp -imap4
STOPPING

AFAIK, we are not tracking these states yet. and also cannot say if
James is not running at all ;-)

> any ideas about the best way to implement this?
>
> i was wondering about extending remotemanager so that it's more
> scriptable. it'd be useful to be able to connect with user and
> password and the command to be executed. perhaps then status could be
> implemented as a command.

yeah, probably the best way.

   Bernd