Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org> on 2014/12/17 19:15:46 UTC

Mentor question - delete/archive a no-longer-used repository?

David,
(CC: dev@brooklyn)

I'm aiming this at you with dual hats of Brooklyn mentor and Infra
expert, seeking some advice - but anyone else on the list with advice,
please chip in.

Brooklyn for a while has had two Git repositories, incubator-brooklyn
and incubator-brooklyn-site - one for the code, one purely for the
public website.

With the benefit of hindsight, we've realised that this may be a
mistake. The website shares some aspects in common with the user guide
stored in the source code repo, so we're duplicating content and
styling, and making it difficult to move pages between the user guide
and the website.

To fix that, we've moved the website content into the source code repo
and we now get the benefit of shared configuration, build scripts,
styling, and are able to move pages around till our heart's content.

This means that the incubator-brooklyn-site repository is now
redundant. It's HEAD revision is simply a README file that points the
reader to the main repository.

Is it (a) possible and (b) a good idea to delete
incubator-brooklyn-site? The history within it is not particularly
valuable to us but I appreciate that the ASF would probably want to
keep its audit trail. Is there a process for deleting or archiving
no-longer-used git repos?

Thanks
Richard.