Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Chris Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk> on 2009/10/12 15:57:03 UTC

extending ofbiz

Is there documentation available describing how to extend ofbiz?

In particular, I am looking for ways to extend (and hide) existing
functionality.

For example,  if I want to add a custom menu item to a party manager
profile screens, how would I do it?  What about if I want to hide a menu
item such as the party "Billing Account" menu?

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

Re: extending ofbiz

Posted by Chris Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Pranay,

Is there any documentation on how to override this way?

Many thanks,

Chris

Re: extending ofbiz

Posted by Jay Wood <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

You can modify screen widgets in the partymgr webapp as Ruth described
or you can create a new component in hot-deploy and point to it from
partymgr.

In your new component follow the same file structure you see in the
other components and create another partymgr webapp in it.

Create a file to extend the partymgr controller.xml file, give it the
name extended.xml and save it in your new component.

Then add an include in the controller.xml file in the original partymgr
webapp.  It should look something like this:

<include
location="component://yourcomponentname/webapp/partymgr/WEB-INF/extended.xml"/>

Now you can add request and view maps in the new extended.xml file that
the original controller.xml file can find.  You can also create new
screens and save them in the new component.

You can read more about it in "Apache OFBiz Development" by Wong and
Howell (PACKT Publishing), Chapter 2.

Hope this helps.

Jay

Re: extending ofbiz

Posted by Pranay Pandey <pr...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Chris,

Re: extending ofbiz

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Chris:
IMHO, you have two choices:
1) You can design some code changes that could be committed back to the
project that allow for selective menu/form display much like the Catalog
Manager allows for an end-user to modify some of the functionality of a
store. If you choose to go that route, then you would most likely create
a new component etc. etc. etc.

2) You can do what I have done in the past, and for which there isn't
really a "Best Practice" guide: Modify the screen/form widgets and
comment out the stuff you don't want to be displayed or create a new
screen/form widget for each of the web pages you would like to modify
and insert them inline with the other screens for the application(s) in
question.

The rest of this discussion will depend on which route you decide to take.
Regards,
Ruth

Re: extending ofbiz

Posted by Chris Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Ruth, yes that is correct.

Re: extending ofbiz

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hello Chris:

Re: extending ofbiz

Posted by Chris Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
How do you extend the webapp?

Many thanks...

Re: extending ofbiz

Posted by Mridul Pathak <mr...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
The standard practice is to extend the webapp in you hot-deploy component
and customize the desired forms, menus and screens.

--
Thanks & Regards
Mridul Pathak
Hotwax Media